Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Sierra Burgess is a Loser on Netflix now.

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

Sierra Burgess is Loser somehow manages to make dishonesty and toxicity a quirky romcom. With  the story of high school student, Sierra, continuing a relationship with boy who thinks she is a popular cheerleader, the creators try to make the concept of catfishing an affectionate narrative. However, basing a relationship on lies is never cute- especially when escapes the realms of boundaries and consent. While the mindset behind the film might be one of extending the experience and appearance of the typical protagonist in Hollywood- the approach further stigmatizes how people who don’t fit society’s  “beauty standards” respond and act.

In the 2018 Netflix Original Sierra Burgess struggles with her self image and confidence. She strides in academics, and is seen to fiercely succeed in writing. Her soft and candid demeanor is actually well described, however the problem lies more in the romantic aspect itself. The interaction between Sierra and the love interest, Jamey, didn’t even have a chance to fall flat- there was no real substance to begin with. Sure, it was mentioned that the two had four hour conversations on the phone, but the audience didn’t get to experience any of the relationship building dialogue. The interactions that did occur felt like being in the middle of a game of 20 questions, that were then followed by a string of “I miss you” text messages. The relationship was never really onscreen.

The presentation of the relationship isn’t the only fault of Sierra Burgess, the terms of the relationship also contributes to the film’s flaws. Jayme isn’t aware that he is not talking to Veronica, the cheerleader, for the majority of the movie. When the time comes to go on a date, Veronica agrees to pretend that she has been talking to Jayme this whole time for Sierra. At the end of the date, Veronica makes Jayme close his eyes while Sierra take her place to kiss him, which is especially discomforting. This crosses a line of consent, as Jayme did not agree or have knowledge of Sierra kissing him. The romantic comedy aspect on the movie is disaster- it continuously defies the values of common courtesy and reeks of selfish desire.

What Sierra did throughout the movie was immoral and inconsiderate, and for a movie that was trying to bring more diverse characters to the screen- it failed. Sierra Burgess was not likeable or a person of mindful actions, which took away from the significance it could’ve had. When coming up with the best way to introduced characters of different body types in films, the first idea shouldn’t be to make them live behind a screen or disregard the concept of consent- let them shine, like all other protagonists.

For any concerns or questions email [email protected]

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Blog

Faythe’s declassified self esteem survival guide

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

North

“Love, Simon” is stunningly revolutionary

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

North

The issue of the basis on mental illness for gun violence

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Sweethearts help soccer stars

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

News

Oklahoma teachers walkout

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Lost in Space: The Robinsons Return

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Somewhere in Northern Italy…

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

North

Losing sleep over Daylight Saving Time

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review