Iridescence marks a new age of Brockhampton

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

The Saturation Trilogy fast-tracked Brockhampton to Billboard success. In the span of a year the independent group took off, and they were well-known across America. However, when sexual misconduct allegations against former member Ameer Vann came about it was uncertain if they would remain successful- or if group’s status would be plagued infamous. After detaching Vann from the band, Brockhampton went on to record their new album 10 days, which was released in September. Brockhampton’s latest work, Iridescence, was a byproduct of an invigorating year.

Iridescence was No. 1 on Billboard’s Top 200, impacting the representation of hip hop in mainstream pop. The group defied typical elements of chart topping music- using scattered and abstract sounds to elaborate on songs’ consensuses. This distorted style can be heard in songs such as NEW ORLEANS and FABRIC. The infiltration of technology in their music creates a disorganized effect; something that correlates with the lyrics. The group incorporates their struggles of mental illness into their music, and the vibrant instrumentals creates an energy of sensational discomfort- such expressed in DISTRICT. Alongside the booming and energetic songs, SAN MARCOS and THUG LIFE bring softer ballads to the album. The album showcases many angles and captures numerous styles- which acts as an ode to the title.

Still, it’s hard not to prefer the previous studio album when compared to the latest. However, that is just a testament to how brilliant the Saturation Trilogy was. The album captures an universal tone, and blends seamlessly as a whole. Nonetheless, it gives representation to the LGBTQ+ community in hip hop- something Brockhampton has been repeatedly acclaimed for. Kevin Abstract in the song WEIGHT expresses his journey with being gay, and has repeatedly made a place for his sexuality in songs. This is significant, and makes the band highly powerful and as well as producing impressively great music. Brockhampton makes their presence important, and I think Iridescence is just the beginning.

For any comments or concerns contact [email protected]

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

Hey, everyone! This is my second year on Ruff Draft as a junior. I am ecstatic to be able to write again, and strive to better my skills.  I have had...

• Iridescence marks a new age of Brockhampton

North

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

North

New season, new coach

Abroad in Spain

Modern Capitalism’s Impact on Education

North

Netflix does it again

Tips for the ACT from a perfect scorer

Malibu Nights by LANY: The breakup

North

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review