Netflix does it again

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

Netflix’s original movie “The Kissing Booth” captured the affection of many teenagers this past summer because of its picturesque portrayal of first love. Its heartwarming love story is a classic tale of the star quarterback falling for the quirky, nerdy girl.

The story follows Elle Evans, played by Joey King, her best friend and neighbor since birth, Lee Flynn, played by Joel Courtney, and Lee’s older brother Noah Flynn, played by Jacob Elordi. Elle has always secretly had a crush on the popular jock Noah Flynn, but according to the rule book for Lee and Elle’s friendship, siblings are off limits. To raise money for Lee and Elle’s dance club, they make a kissing booth for the annual carnival put on by the school. It was a shock to all when Noah Flynn kissed Elle at the booth and their relationship blossomed from there. Together they have to keep their relationship a secret from everyone, especially Lee, and face many obstacles along the way.

The movie was so popular among the younger generation because the storyline followed teenagers through high school and the drama behind relationships, so it was relatable for many fans. “The Kissing Booth” also played on girls’ fantasy of their first love and having the popular, star football player falling for you.  Many fans fell in love with the sweet but incredibly handsome Noah Flynn and have made fan accounts dedicated to his character.

Although the storyline was relatable and felt real, the acting could have been better and with higher quality actors. At times the scenes were too cheesy and predictable, like Noah and Elle seeking refuge in a gazebo from the rain and sharing their first kiss after the Kissing Booth. The director, Vince Marcello, and Netflix did an amazing job creating another hit movie, but it needs minimal improvements.

The success of “The Kissing Booth” has greatly increased King’s and Elordi’s following on social media. The main characters are an actual couple outside of the movie causing many teens to look up to their adorable relationship. They also have together gained millions of followers from the success of “The Kissing Booth.” Overall, “The Kissing Booth” is a cheesy but likable romance movie perfect for a movie night in with some girl friends.

“The Kissing Booth” is available for streaming on Netflix right now.

For questions or concerns, email [email protected]

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

Hi I'm Lauren Minnix and I'm a Junior at Edmond North. I enjoy volunteering and leadership opportunities. I am a member of Student Council at my school,...

• Netflix does it again

North

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

• Netflix does it again

The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

• Netflix does it again

Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

• Netflix does it again

North

Iridescence marks a new age of Brockhampton

• Netflix does it again

North

New season, new coach

• Netflix does it again

Abroad in Spain

• Netflix does it again

Modern Capitalism’s Impact on Education

• Netflix does it again

Tips for the ACT from a perfect scorer

• Netflix does it again

Malibu Nights by LANY: The breakup

• Netflix does it again

North

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

Netflix does it again