Abroad in Spain

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

Senior Ashtyn Page spent her junior year abroad in Alicante, Spain, located on the southern coast, through Rotary International. Page was motivated to do a year abroad because her mother and older sister also went abroad for their Junior year of high school and loved it. While in Europe, she traveled to twelve different countries: Denmark, France, Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Holland, Czech Republic, Italy, the Vatican and Austria.

While in Spain, Page lived with two host families. Page and her first host mom formed a strong bond by going shopping together and hanging out one on one. With both of her host families, she felt at home and was able to open up to them.

“I didn’t feel like just an exchange student in a stranger’s house, but I felt at home with my family,” Page said.

For Page, the biggest difference was school. Her school in Spain didn’t have sports, clubs or a band since it was more of a studious environment. Her school day started at 8:00 a.m. and ended between 1:30-3:00 p.m. since it was a block schedule.

“It definitely made me appreciate my school at home, but I still enjoyed being able to experience two different sides,” Page said.

For Paige, the downsides of studying abroad for a year was during holidays because she missed her family back in Edmond, and the language barrier made it difficult for her to show her true personality and make friends. However, the pros of studying abroad were learning a new language and having a new home and family in Spain. She also got to learn many new things, experience new cultures and meet new people.

For those considering studying abroad, Page strongly encourages everyone to do it.

If you have any questions please contact [email protected]

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

Hi I'm Lauren Minnix and I'm a Junior at Edmond North. I enjoy volunteering and leadership opportunities. I am a member of Student Council at my school,...

• Feature

New experiences for Coach Crabaugh

• Feature

Parent University: a time to learn

• Abroad in Spain

Sucessful Socktober

• Abroad in Spain

New teacher at Edmond Santa Fe

• Abroad in Spain

Lance Tignor: A New Offensive Line Coach and Oklahoma History Teacher

• Abroad in Spain

New teacher feature – Meet Gregory Mills

• Abroad in Spain

Carolina Elizabeth: A teacher of many languages

• Abroad in Spain

Welcoming a new coach

• Abroad in Spain

Santa Fe’s “History Squad” provides a new perspective to social studies

• Abroad in Spain

New Teacher, Old Friend: Isaac Henry

Abroad in Spain