New season, new coach

Putnam City North's Chris Braggs (3) grabs a rebound between Edmond North's Andrew Stuman (33), left, and Damion Thorton (12)  during a class 6A boys semifinal game in the state high school basketball tournament between Putnam City North and Edmond North at the Mabee Center in Tulsa, Okla., Friday, March 10, 2017. Photo by Nate Billings, The Oklahoman

Putnam City North's Chris Braggs (3) grabs a rebound between Edmond North's Andrew Stuman (33), left, and Damion Thorton (12) during a class 6A boys semifinal game in the state high school basketball tournament between Putnam City North and Edmond North at the Mabee Center in Tulsa, Okla., Friday, March 10, 2017. Photo by Nate Billings, The Oklahoman

NATE BILLINGS

NATE BILLINGS

Savanna Rush, North Staff Writer

Edmond North’s newest basketball coach, Scott Norris, is excited to be leading the boys varsity team this season. Norris began his coaching career 28 years ago. During these years he coached for Oklahoma Baptist University, Missouri State University and Coweta State High School.

North’s previous head coach Terry Evans, who led the school to its first ever state championship during the 2016-17 season, decided to part ways with the program to accept a head coaching position for Southwestern Oklahoma State University, leaving Norris with big shoes to fill.

North is 3 times the size of the last high school I coached at.  Just the numbers involved in the basketball program are much larger,” Norris said “just getting adjusted to how things are handled at North has been different.  But as far as how I coach that is the same.”

Despite North being Norris’s biggest school thus far, he is passionate about basketball and his players. He is determined to have a good season and improving the team’s dynamic. Varsity basketball player, Ej Mason, was further questioned about his outlook and hopes for the entire team.

I’m most excited to see our progress from last year to this year and just getting another chance to play again for North,” Mason said.

Similarly, coach Norris shared his aspirations for the upcoming season as well.

I want to see us improve everyday not only in our skill level but how we treat our teammates,” Norris said “I want to see us compete every single day.  I’m excited for what the season holds for this group. The leadership at North is incredible!

Mason had great insight on Norris’s coaching methods and connections he has to his players.

Coach Norris is like a father figure,” Mason said “he’ll do anything for my teammates and I, but he wants things done right or we won’t move on to the next thing. He’s all about the details”

Finally, Mason willingly stated the bonds he has with his teammates are great.

“My teammates are amazing,” Mason said “I love them like brothers, we’ll work together perfect with the bond we have.”

The following basketball season is full of potential with North’s new coach and hard-working team players, as always. They will train and play hard consistently, shooting for State Champion title once again for the 2018-19 year.

Savanna Rush, North Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Savanna Rush and I am a junior at Edmond North. I enjoy travelling, writing, and shopping. I love seeing my friends, as well as hanging...

• New season, new coach

North

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

• New season, new coach

The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

• New season, new coach

Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

• New season, new coach

North

Iridescence marks a new age of Brockhampton

• New season, new coach

Abroad in Spain

• New season, new coach

Modern Capitalism’s Impact on Education

• New season, new coach

North

Netflix does it again

• New season, new coach

Tips for the ACT from a perfect scorer

• New season, new coach

Malibu Nights by LANY: The breakup

• New season, new coach

North

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Review

New season, new coach