Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Timothy Norris

Timothy Norris

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

On Oct. 10, popular British band Arctic Monkeys, formerly known as Death Ramps, performed at the Oklahoma City Criterion as a part of their world tour.

Upon arrival at the venue, the mile-long line leading to the entrance was characterized by anxious faces waiting to see the band. After spending $60-$70 dollars per ticket, we were all waiting to see what was in store and whether or not they were worth the investment.

Once inside, The Criterion delivered an incredible indoor venue including standing general admission area leading right to the stage. There was also a 360-degree bar crowded with wristband bound adults. To the side of the bar was a 200-foot line, which led to the merchandise stand. It was less of a stand and more of a snack bar converted to sell Arctic Monkeys’ plain, black clothes with minimal appeal.

In 2013, Arctic Monkeys made it big with their self-titled album ‘AM’ which featured many hit singles with the underlying theme of dark, emotional and sex-driven music. Though the band had a long hiatus between ‘AM’ and their newest album ‘Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino,’ there seems to be no new themes between then and now with their type of music, merchandise and stage props.

Before Arctic Monkeys performed, their opening band Mini Mansions wowed the crowd with their hyped and rhythmic music. Frontman Michael Shuman made jaws drop with his incredible falsetto and emotional stage presence with partnering musicians Zach Dawes and Tyler Parkford. Amidst their breathtaking stage presence and flowing transitions, I couldn’t believe they played for 45 minutes, I was left wanting to hear more content afterwards.

On the contrary, when Arctic Monkeys came in, there was no intro hype of any kind as they strolled in. They began their set list with a lethargic song entitled ‘Four out of Five’. Everyone swayed to the music and I yawned through the first few songs before the tempo increased with punk single ‘Don’t Sit Down ‘Cause I’ve Moved Your Chair.’

After that song, a pattern began: quick tunes with suddenly slow melodies in between, there seemed to be no true flow with their set list. There was little to no fluidity between songs and awkward silences strung throughout the concert with a small, inaudible comment from lead singer Alex Turner before a new song began.

I also found the physical appeal of the show lacking as the band used minimal props, stage lights and every song was highly bass boosted, taking any last attraction to the show away. Arctic Monkeys played six or more songs from ‘AM’ and did not pull through with exciting entrances, a capella harmonies or guitar highlights. I found more joy in listening to their music in my car than in person.

Overall, going to any concert brings most people adrenaline rushes and happiness to last for a few hours as it did for me but reflecting on the concert, I was disappointed by almost every aspect. I would not recommend this tour to fans unless they have money to throw away.

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

Hello! I am Cora Adams, I’m a senior at Edmond Memorial High School. I’m also a second year writer for the Ruff Draft and a member of the EMHS Marching...

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

• Feature

New experiences for Coach Crabaugh

• Feature

Parent University: a time to learn

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

“What If It’s Us” queer romantic comedy

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Memorial swim team splashes into season

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Ed Sheeran: down in Dallas

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Senior skip day: not a thing

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Lany: a hometown show to remember

• Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver

Sucessful Socktober

Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver