Academic team snatches quarterfinal win at NAQT

National Academic Quiz Tournaments hosts several competitions throughout the year at middle school, high school and collegiate levels.

Trey McCabe, Memorial Staff Writer

Sat., Sept 30, two of the three squads the Edmond Memorial Academic Team that entered into this year’s first National Academic Quiz Tournament (NAQT) advanced to the competition’s quarterfinals.

“Quarterfinals is a good start,” junior Oliver Wu said.  “Overall, I feel like my teammates performed amazingly and it was a great competition.”

According to coach Jordan Gotcher, the Academic Team practices much in the same way one would for an AP exam; namely, reviewing previous material.

“A lot of the preparation has to do with running old tournament questions,” Gotcher said. “NAQT has a ‘things you should know’ compendium of lists. Each week in the Academic Team class, a student will create a presentation over one of these lists for the class and they teach about the things found on the list.” This way, the team will be prepared when they encounter similar material in the competition.

In addition to their recent accomplishment, their vision for the future includes more long-term goals.

“We’re hoping to qualify for nationals this year, in which case we will need to place higher in the future,” Wu said. “Our A team is lead mostly by juniors and so we’re also looking to gain valuable experience and knowledge in order to be a really competitive team of seniors next year.”

The Academic Team also participated in the district level seeding tournament on Oct. 8, earning one of the top seeds for the beginning of the Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association (OSSAA) competition which operates on the state level. However, the competition won’t pick up again until January, so for now the team is keeping busy with more NAQT tournaments and Froshmore tournaments for the freshmen and sophomores.

“The kids really love doing this stuff, and we want this to be something that is pretty active throughout the year,” Gotcher said. “We don’t want to just do the bare minimum.”   

Contact Trey McCabe at [email protected]

Trey McCabe, Memorial Staff Writer

Trey McCabe is a senior this year at Edmond Memorial, and this is his second year on staff at Ruff Draft. He has won two first-place awards at OSSA for...

• Academic team snatches quarterfinal win at NAQT

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

Acknowledging a great teacher

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

How to spice up your Winter Break

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”