The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

Addie Detrich, North Staff Writer

The state of Oklahoma requires at least twenty three credits to graduate high school and earn a GED. Of these twenty three credits, four are expected for language arts, three for math, three for social studies and three for science (the other ten are dispersed in minor subjects). Oklahoma is near the national average for the qualifying credits, but as Oklahoma is in such a rush to keep people and economy in the state, this is relevant to proper education.

The qualification of language arts requiring the most credits is something not to be argued with. The language arts are important to raising a generation that is well educated and not ignorant to the problems in the country, and it also teaches students about themselves and others. Only science, especially lab science, needs more attention as an equally important class in high school.

Science classes offered at North include the basics, biology, chemistry, physical science, physics, and human anatomy, and a couple more “for fun,” astronomy, computer science, environmental science, comp science, psychology, aeroscience and earth science. The selection is great for all the science whizz-kids, but not many of these classes offer enough refined and up to date labs. College level labs will require more input of money for expensive science equipment, yet it would be well worth it with the influx of money from well-educated graduates grabbing considerable jobs.

With plenty of lab experience ahead of time, students who choose to go to college will greatly benefit. Not only will lab-ready students be ahead of other students who haven’t had much practice in a lab, but they might be able to obtain a lab TA job. Out of all the minimum wage jobs students have in college, being a lab assistant will not only support the student economically but will greatly improve the chances of getting a high-paying job right out of college.

Look at a list of fastest growing jobs in Oklahoma and find an abundance of growth in science-related fields. From a current list provided by Zippia career experts, personal care assistant, nurse practitioner, plastic technician, physician assistant, EMT and vet tech are among the jobs with 100% + growth. Science is right on the cutting edge of what humans are capable of performing and new jobs are in constant demand, especially within the newly emerging biotechnology field. The oil industry and other physical science jobs are also in demand, high-paying and have amazing benefits. With more students going into science fields in Oklahoma, and the more money being made, the economy will improve rapidly.

Of course, science is not everybody’s “thing,” but with the help of a few extra required hours of science and more sophisticated labs, students may come to find themselves passionate about the field. Too many professors and lab TAs these days have to handle students who have no experience with lab equipment and writing lab reports, ending in frustration for both parties. Labs are conducive to high education, which is useful for jobs, and results in positive economic growth in Oklahoma.

Contact me at [email protected] for questions or comments.

Addie Detrich, North Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Addie, I'm a sophomore, and this is my second year on Ruff Draft. I really like to write reviews on movies, music, and other entertainment....

• The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

• Feature

New experiences for Coach Crabaugh

• Feature

Parent University: a time to learn

“What If It’s Us” queer romantic comedy

Memorial swim team splashes into season

Ed Sheeran: down in Dallas

Senior skip day: not a thing

Lany: a hometown show to remember

Sucessful Socktober