Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

Chloe & Zoe Golightly, North Managing Editor & North Staff Writer

As September changed to October, the hype for Halloween suddenly became relevant, the temperature dropped and pumpkin sales rocketed. More Halloween-themed recipes emerged, and the most creative and thought-out ones were put together to see if they were worth the excitement surrounding them. After deliberate thought and consideration, we narrowed it down to Rice Krispie Treat Mummies, Oreo and Reese’s pumpkins, and Jack Skellington Oreo Pops.

These three recipes were picked from Instagram videos and pictures posted on Pinterest that are advertised as though they take no time to prepare, as if someone could easily make them before a party. In reality, these recipes took over three hours to concoct, were insanely sweet and took many trials to perfect.

Rice Krispie treat mummies were relatively easy to make, only needing marshmallows, butter, Rice Krispies cereal, white chocolate and black drawable frosting to draw eyes with. Making the Rice Krispie treats were easy since we’ve made them before. Instead of using white chocolate to dip the treats in, we used peanut butter and chocolate chips to add more flavor. Drawing the eyes were harder so we ended up using blue M&M’s to be the “eyes” and then used the black frosting to draw on the mummies toilet paper covering. This yummy treat ended up being the family favorite, though it was very sweet and time-consuming.

Oreo and Reese’s pumpkins needed Halloween Oreos, Reese’s peanut butter cups, melted chocolate, pretzel sticks and green and orange M&M’s. Verdict: an amusing recipe to make, but also the most challenging with multiple steps; however, our whole family enjoyed them so it paid off well.

To make these tasty treats, we took apart the Oreo and put the Reese’s cup inside of it to make a Reese’s filled Oreo cookie and then dipped the Oreo and Reese’s cookie into the chocolate until it was completely covered. A pretzel stick about ½ an inch tall was stuck it on the top of the “pumpkin” and a green M&M was cracked in half to make the leaves. To make this treat look more like a pumpkin, we added orange M&M’s to the top of the chocolate in a circular pattern.

This recipe was time consuming, because the Reese’s kept falling out of the Oreo and the Oreo’s kept breaking. Verdict: while they had good flavor, the Oreo and Reese’s cookies were unnaturally sweet, and hard to eat even a single bite at one sitting.

The Jack Skellington Oreo pops needed Oreos, white chocolate and black edible frosting to draw the face on. Dipping the Oreos in white chocolate and drawing on Jack Skellington’s face seems like it would be a breeze, but the Oreos did not want to stay on the plastic stick since there wasn’t enough creme in the Oreo for the stick to fit. Buying double or mega-stuffed Oreos may work better in the future, and make sure you have an artist nearby to draw on the face unless you want it to be lopsided like ours were. Verdict: while it’s a cute idea, they ended up being a mess to make and wouldn’t stay together.

Each recipe had its own flaws and errors, and while these treats were fun to make, they took many hours of prep and looked nothing like the Instagram and Pinterest pictures that one may see. If ever in a time crunch and needing a treat for a party, buying something from a local grocery store is cheaper and more time effective than making these treats, however fun they may be.

To see pictures of the Instagram v. Reality treats, check out @northruffdraft on Instagram or email [email protected] or [email protected].

• Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

• Feature

New experiences for Coach Crabaugh

• Feature

Parent University: a time to learn

“What If It’s Us” queer romantic comedy

Memorial swim team splashes into season

Ed Sheeran: down in Dallas

Senior skip day: not a thing

Lany: a hometown show to remember

Sucessful Socktober