#GrowthMindset: The Santa Fe band at contest

Edmond Santa Fe Band takes the field during their Preliminary Performance at the Oklahoma Bandmasters Association (OBA) at Broken Arrow High School on Oct. 20.

Mike Morton

Mike Morton

Mike Morton

Chloe Clinton, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Most know the Santa Fe High School Marching Band performs during halftime at football games but in addition, the band travels to contest to compete against other bands; during the band’s 12 week season they travel and compete in three contests.

Each band that enters the contest is judged in three different categories: music, visual and general effect which are split into smaller captions. There are typically seven judges both on the field and in the press box all looking for different aspects.

“Half of the judges are related to visual elements and half of them are related to musical elements,” head band director Sarah Neely said.

There are two judges on the field, music and visual individual judges. They look at individual members and their performance. The five remaining judges, located in the press box, are visual ensemble judges, music ensemble judges and general effect judges. They look at the band as a whole and the overall production of the show.

Based on these aspects, a band receives a score based on their performance. The scores from each judge are compiled and averaged with a maximum score of 100 points. Depending on their preliminary performance score they may advance to finals.

The first contest of the season was the Yukon Invitational on Sep.29, where the band qualified for finals and then placed fifth with a total score of 69.0.

“I was very proud of the performance the band had, both in prelims and finals,” band director Victor Djonorh said.

After judges comments were taken into consideration and the band made modifications to their show it was on to the second contest of the season, the Mustang Nightrider Invitational on Oct. 6, where again the band made finals and placed fifth with a total score of 74.9.

The last contest of the season is OBA 6A1 and 6A2 contest at Broken Arrow High School on Oct. 20, where Santa Fe competes with the top bands in Oklahoma. The band made finals for the first time in three years placing in the top ten with a score of 78.20.

“Our theme is always progress, this year was #growthmindset so that is what we are working on,” Djonorh said.

When looking back at the performance the directors and students hope to see improvements in scores and overall performance which is exactly what they did this year.

No matter the scores and placements, the band made many vast improvements from last season and are on their way to continue to do so for next season.

“We made finals at OBA and so many people cried because all of the hard work everyone has put into this program,” junior mellophone Kristin Malget said. “Bands goal is always trying to better ourselves with the help of each others and that is exactly what happened this year.”

For more information, contact Chloe Clinton.

• News

Legally Blonde auditions!

• #GrowthMindset: The Santa Fe band at contest

News

Extra, Extra, Hear All About It!

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

News

Annual talent show “Debut” hits the stage for the 20th time

DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

Academic team snatches quarterfinal win at NAQT

AT&T grants EPS $25,000 for STEM proceeds

Memorial

What’s the deal with The Outsiders?

Memorial

Edmond Public Schools: a change in teacher salary

She’s back again: USA Triathlon National Championships