Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Rachel Frank, North Staff Writer

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. At some point in our lives, we have all known someone that has breast cancer, had breast cancer or is a previvor of breast cancer. Breast cancer is a form of cancer that will affect 1 in every 8 women and 1 in every 1,000 men. Although some people may be oblivious to getting a disease as terrible as breast cancer that doesn’t mean that it will happen to you. In January 2018 it was recorded that over 3.1 million women have faced breast cancer.

As students of North High School and the Edmond School District as a whole, we should be supporting and showing our love to those who have breast cancer. Many students have to go through seeing loved ones deal with this tragedy and they shouldn’t have to face it alone. Stand with your fellow students and show your pink pride for the month of October.

When  Susan G. Komen died from breast cancer in 1980, her younger sister vowed that she would do everything she could to raise money for this cause. In 1982, The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation became the most well-known breast cancer organization in the U.S. This foundation has recently been outed for “pinkwashing” and lying about where the money was going. Nancy Brinker, the CEO of the Susan G. Komen Foundation, had a salary of around $560,896 in 2013. In the three day walk events that take place each person that participates raises around $2,000,  the three day walk is a walk in which many participants walk 20 miles each day in a way to fight breast cancer. There is an estimate of 5 billion dollars that is raised in the name of breast cancer each year.

THINK PINK! The Think Pink Campaign is a campaign used by companies to support breast cancer, they either use pink items, give money to the cause from their profits or just show their support through advertising. It can be seen as pinkwashing which is false advertising because it is used to give more attention to the company. The impact of Think Pink also has good aspects such as the pink ribbons and what they represent.

We need more than just awareness though; money is needed to make a difference for breast cancer research so there are more survivors. Support Breast Cancer Awareness month by wearing pink and showing how much you care.

If you have any questions email [email protected]

Rachel Frank, North Staff Writer

Hey guys, I'm a freshman and I'm super excited for my first year of Ruff Draft.

• North

How to: Make Holiday Cookies

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Acknowledging a great teacher

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

How to spice up your Winter Break

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The answer to progressive Oklahoma is science

Breast Cancer Awareness Month