Sucessful Socktober

Sucessful Socktober

Edmond Memorial's sophomore english students collected over 1,000 pairs of socks throughout the month of October.

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

Throughout the month of October, Edmond Memorial’s sophomore English classes held a school-wide sock drive called Socktober.

“We read The Glass Castle first quarter and decided it would be nice to give back to those who have less in our community,” contributing teacher Beth Lewis said. “One of the items that shelters, and the Walls children, always need is socks.”

All donations were given to HOPE Center of Edmond, a popular social service center that has been providing for Edmond’s local community since 1984. As the winter weather approaches, HOPE is in need for basic clothing supplies. Memorial stepped in and donated over 1,000 pairs of socks.

“We are entering into colder weather, and if more adults, teens, and children are able to keep themselves warm this winter, then we have done our job,” Lewis said.

Sophomore Olivia Burns supported Socktober by donating bundles of socks and raising awareness among her fellow sophomores of the easy and fun steps to helping HOPE Center collect clothing necessary for locals this winter.

My favorite memory from Socktober was when one of my classmates found out she could buy baby socks in bulk on Amazon,” Burns said. “Seeing her so excited about something as simple as socks reminds me of how easy and fun it is to give back to our community.”

After such a successful donation number, the sophomore class and the rest of Memorial is hoping to see Socktober become a new tradition.

Contact Cora Adams at [email protected]

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

Hello! I am Cora Adams, I’m a senior at Edmond Memorial High School. I’m also a second year writer for the Ruff Draft and a member of the EMHS Marching...

• Sucessful Socktober

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

• Feature

New experiences for Coach Crabaugh

• Feature

Parent University: a time to learn

• Sucessful Socktober

New teacher at Edmond Santa Fe

• Sucessful Socktober

Abroad in Spain

• Sucessful Socktober

Lance Tignor: A New Offensive Line Coach and Oklahoma History Teacher

• Sucessful Socktober

New teacher feature – Meet Gregory Mills

• Sucessful Socktober

Carolina Elizabeth: A teacher of many languages

• Sucessful Socktober

Welcoming a new coach

• Sucessful Socktober

Santa Fe’s “History Squad” provides a new perspective to social studies

Sucessful Socktober