Sucessful Socktober

Sucessful Socktober

Edmond Memorial's sophomore english students collected over 1,000 pairs of socks throughout the month of October.

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

Throughout the month of October, Edmond Memorial’s sophomore English classes held a school-wide sock drive called Socktober.

“We read The Glass Castle first quarter and decided it would be nice to give back to those who have less in our community,” contributing teacher Beth Lewis said. “One of the items that shelters, and the Walls children, always need is socks.”

All donations were given to HOPE Center of Edmond, a popular social service center that has been providing for Edmond’s local community since 1984. As the winter weather approaches, HOPE is in need for basic clothing supplies. Memorial stepped in and donated over 1,000 pairs of socks.

“We are entering into colder weather, and if more adults, teens, and children are able to keep themselves warm this winter, then we have done our job,” Lewis said.

Sophomore Olivia Burns supported Socktober by donating bundles of socks and raising awareness among her fellow sophomores of the easy and fun steps to helping HOPE Center collect clothing necessary for locals this winter.

My favorite memory from Socktober was when one of my classmates found out she could buy baby socks in bulk on Amazon,” Burns said. “Seeing her so excited about something as simple as socks reminds me of how easy and fun it is to give back to our community.”

After such a successful donation number, the sophomore class and the rest of Memorial is hoping to see Socktober become a new tradition.

Contact Cora Adams at [email protected]

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

Hello! I am Cora Adams, I’m a senior at Edmond Memorial High School. I’m also a second year writer for the Ruff Draft and a member of the EMHS Marching...

• Sucessful Socktober

Project Period helps women in need

• Sucessful Socktober

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

• Sucessful Socktober

Pitch fast dream harder

• Sucessful Socktober

Spectacular Showtimes at Showbiz

• Sucessful Socktober

Bouncing into homecoming

• Sucessful Socktober

Record number of musicians make CODA honors

• Sucessful Socktober

OCDA all-state choirs take on Yukon

• Sucessful Socktober

Huskies Head to the Ivys

• Feature

From Greece to America

• Sucessful Socktober

North Pom is the sweetest in the state

Sucessful Socktober