Senior skip day: not a thing

Senior skip day: not a thing

On senior skip day many students take the opportunity to sleep in after a long night out on Halloween.

Rachel Bussert, Memorial Managing Editor

A well known aspect of enjoying the last year of high school is the unofficial holiday of senior skip day in which the seniors collaborate and agree for everyone to skip school. This is what was planned for Nov. 1 at Memorial, or so many seniors thought.

The date was chosen as it has been used before in the past so that students who stayed out late on Halloween would be able to sleep in. However, many parents and students were confused as they thought this was a school sanctioned activity day and not simply a group of students deciding to ditch on the same day.

Many parents reached out to the Senior Class Sponsor to ask about activities for the day, assuming that it was a school sanctioned activity with an excused absence. Students also were confused as to the plan as many messaged on the Senior Class Remind101 asking if their absence would affect their exemption, which it would.

Students should not expect to be able to simply miss school on a whim and have it be excused because of “tradition.”

In an attempt to combat this, English IV teachers gave students ultimatums to attend class saying they would not reschedule a known about quiz. However, many seniors were disgruntled that plans were not made to accommodate their senior skip day.

The entire idea of holding a senior skip day in the fall is absurd. Two weeks before, students had a five day weekend for Fall Break and three weeks after, students have a full week out of school for Thanksgiving. There are plenty of breaks in the fall and there is no need to compensate through student organized days. If anything, these are needed more in the spring.

For years, seniors held the skip day on Good Friday and used the religious holiday as a way to have the absence not affect their attendance or a Monday during the State Fair. The first gave a much needed day off in the middle of a longer period without breaks. Now the district has that day as a break labeled either as April Day or May Day depending on when the holiday falls, and the other day is now Professional Development to combat the skipping.

As the district has accounted and made plans for what used to be senior skip days. It is no longer necessary under the ruse of needing a break from school.

Senior skip day does not have any true special aspects of it. Any student can skip any day if they truly want to. Seniors should not use this made up holiday as an excuse and should save their absences for when they need it.

Contact Rachel Bussert at [email protected].

My name is Rachel Bussert and I am a senior at Edmond Memorial High School. I have been on the Ruff Draft staff for one and a half years and have earned...

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Acknowledging a great teacher

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

• Senior skip day: not a thing

How to spice up your Winter Break

• Senior skip day: not a thing

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

Senior skip day: not a thing