Memorial swim team splashes into season

Memorial swim team splashes into season

Freshman Paeton Jones competing at the Nov. 8 swim meet.

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Colt Beat, Memorial Staff Writer

When it comes to swimming, perseverance, motivation and adaptation all play a role in an athlete’s performance. This year, the Edmond Memorial swim team proves that determination and flexibility are key factors to a successful team.

There are 21 swimmers in total, mostly consisting of freshmen and sophomores with an absence of experienced upperclassmen.

“Across both the girls and boys team, there is one senior and no juniors, making the teams fairly young,” said sophomore swimmer Allie Schein. “Because of this, the teams are having to overcome several obstacles due to the lack of swimmers.”

Senior Riley Bushey, being the only upperclassmen and captain, has had to step up as a figure for the young team by encouraging and supporting her fellow teammates.

“I’m mostly just a guiding hand for the team to help prepare them for the world of high school swimming, as it is a very different environment than any other group sport. Bushey said.

Along with the addition of new swimmers, the swim team also hired a new boy’s and girl’s coach, Zack Kraeger. So far in the season, the swim team has competed in two meets, one being the Jenks All State Preview on Nov. 3 and the first home meet on Nov. 8.

“Since our team is so young, the results of both the meets act as a good baseline of where we are at physically,” Kraeger said. “Also, it allows us to develop as a team and create goals for the rest of the season by exposing our strengths and weaknesses.”

Sophomore Max Myers, one of two returning male swimmers, shares a similar outlook on the potential of the swim team.

“Even though the boy’s team is fairly small, I believe the team will become superior as the season goes on,” Myers said. “Personally, I am looking forward to trying out lots of different events and seeing the new guys improve.”

The new additions may not fill the loss of last year’s athletes, but the group embodies the same skills and abilities necessary.

“We have a significant amount of new talent on the team,” Kraeger said. “I am most excited to both develop the talents of my team and build a strong relationship with each individual swimmer.”

Overall, the end goal for the swim season is to both prepare for and perform well at the state meet on Feb. 15 and 16 of 2019 at the Edmond Public Schools Aquatic Center.

“I think the boys’ swim team needs to focus on our 200 freestyle relay,” Myers said. “Our team has the ability to make state if we continue practicing and remain dedicated.”

The results for the Nov. 8 swim meet shows early signs of success, with the girls’ team placing second overall, along with individual first and second place awards for different events that were obtained by Krista Parker, Kristen Nieves, Emma Smith, Schien and Bushey. Myers represented the boys’ team with a first place finishing in the boys 500 meter freestyle and third in boys 100 meter breaststroke.

The next swim meet is Nov. 15 in Edmond, where Memorial will compete against Enid, Edmond Santa Fe and Edmond North.

Contact Colt Beat at [email protected]

Colt Beat, Memorial Staff Writer

My name is Colt Beat and I am currently a junior. This will be my second year as a writer for Edmond Memorial’s newspaper staff. By being on newspaper,...

Leah Franklin, Memorial Photographer

Hi, my name is Leah Franklin. I am a junior in high school and have been on staff for a year and a half. Throughout my time on newspaper I have learned...

• Memorial swim team splashes into season

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

Acknowledging a great teacher

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

How to spice up your Winter Break

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

Memorial swim team splashes into season