DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

DECA senior award winners Caleb Fuller, Carter Jackson and Collin Shortt pose for the camera with their JAIC trophy.

Natalia Mora, Memorial Staff Writer

Seniors from Edmond Memorial’s DECA chapter participated in the 9th Annual OKC Junior Achievement Investor Challenge (JAIC) Oct. 30. Of these students, three Memorial Business Management students, Caleb Fuller, Carter Jackson and Collin Shortt, came home with first place awards.

“I ran over to them and said, ‘we did it, there’s nothing else we can do,’” Shortt said. “‘Take all the money out or sell all our shares, we can go on with our day; we won.’”

The JAIC, funded by OG&E Energy Corporation, is a rudimentary introduction to the stock market for business students in high school and college. The day consists of a two-hour simulation of a two-week stock market live trading floor. Students are divided into groups of four, each accompanied by one professional in the business field. First place finalists are determined by the three teams with the largest net worth by the end of the stock trading simulation.

“This achievement will be a strong item on their resumes for certain,” DECA teacher Kim Walters said. “The experience and the networking possibilities from it will stay with them for an even longer time.”

This winning team, a group of three assisted by Travis West, used a distinct “scared money don’t save money” tactic, which was the leading contribution to their victory. The strategy comprises of taking big risks and sticking to a game plan, regardless of the rapid results.

“Most people might think it’s smarter to be held back and restraining, putting in a little bit of money here or there, selling it once it goes up and taking it out whenever the share prices go down, but we don’t really live by that rule,” Fuller said. “We were hauling and taking the big risk, which ended up being the best thing to do.”

The activity correlates with standard five of Oklahoma’s Personal Financial Literacy curriculum, “Saving and Investing.” The Junior Achievement of Oklahoma program strives to “teach students in kindergarten through twelfth grade about financial literacy, work readiness and entrepreneurship.” Prior to the event, Walters assigned a pre-test and education on the Oklahoma Financial Literacy curriculum.

The winning team awaits an IBC bank board meeting Dec. 12, as well as a trophy for the school. This could result in internships, scholarships and more in store for these entrepreneurs. During the same month, Memorial’s team will also give a presentation at the Junior Achievement luncheon.

Walters encourages underclassmen interested in entrepreneurship, business and personal investing to enroll in AP Economics or the Marketing Education Program, so that they can participate in this incredible opportunity to experience the world of business hands-on. All participants in the JAIC, due to the efforts of Walters and all who made DECA possible, are duly equipped for the future.

Contact Natalia Mora at [email protected]

Natalia Mora, Memorial Staff Writer

Hello! My name is Natalia Mora. I am a junior staff writer at Edmond Memorial High School, returning for my second year on staff.

I currently work with...

• DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

Acknowledging a great teacher

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

How to spice up your Winter Break

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”