Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

The main meeting area at the AT&T Stadium

Emily Garrison

Emily Garrison

Emily Garrison

Emily Garrison, North Staff Writer

Each year, Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA)  host one of their most important events, it is named the Angel Star Tree. It starts on Nov. 1 and goes all the way to the end of the month. The DECA President, Max Breuninger has been in the program all four years of his high school journey. Max Breuninger, The Deca President,  is looking forward to the Angel Star Tree this year and the role DECA plays in it.

“The North Star Angel Tree is also hosted by the Marketing and Education program,”, said the President “It has been going in the DECA program for three years but has been at the going on for a total of seven years so far.”.

The Angel Tree program is not only at North, but also at hospitals and department stores. There they will have a tree that has a number of different tags on it and on those tags will be an item(s) that you can go out and purchase those gifts. At North, they partner up with the Hope Center and  “adopt” entire families with multiple children, as many as four or five kids. Adopting a family means helping them get gifts and such that they can not afford. DECA tries very hard to pair up families with clubs who sign up to adopt, so they can best suit their needs. After the club adopts a family, they go out to buy the gifts, clothes, blankets or whatever the family may need. The purpose is to give the family a blessing this Christmas that they may not have had otherwise.

Along with the Angel Tree Program, DECA will also take a group as big as 35 kids or more to Dallas, Texas. They go to expand their knowledge of different businesses and how they run everything that’s behind the scenes. They will learn  how football games are run, how businesses design and ship clothing, different positions in every single kind of business, and just how much work is put into simple tasks. On their way back to Edmond, they stop to watch the Ardmore Christmas lights.

“Last year DECA went to the Texas Motor Speedway, the Stonebriar Center for the mall, IKEA, and Bucky’s to see how it was.” said senior and Vice President of Marketing, Tatelyn Moran.

This year, Barbara Inselman, the DECA Advisor,  took the DECA students down to the AT&T Stadium, the Dallas Market Center and the Galleria Mall.

“It was a lot of fun and a educational experience and the kids really enjoyed getting outside to see real-life marketing. They also get to bond with each other as well so it is a big networking opportunity for them.”, said Mrs. Inselman.

The Dallas Trip and the Angel Star Tree Program are the two biggest events that DECA puts on during the school year. One helps out families that are in need and the other provides opportunities for students to go explore options for their future.

• Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

Acknowledging a great teacher

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

How to spice up your Winter Break

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

DECA students earn gold at JA Investor Challenge