Bouncing their way to State

Bouncing their way to State

Freshman Toni Papahronis and Junior Amaia Maxwell stand ready to receive the basketball and lead the Lady Huskies to a victory.

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

The Lady Huskies basketball team has been working hard throughout the summer and school year to prepare for a winning season. Last year they finished strong with three tournament wins, but they were disappointed when they didn’t make it to the State tournament. They were also City Champs beating North’s rivals: Santa Fe and Memorial. This year they are hoping for a State Tournament appearance.

Junior Graycen Holden has played center on Varsity since freshman year.

“Our expectations for this year is nothing short of a gold ball,” Holden said.

Head coach Papahronis has been working the girls hard in practice with running miles, strength training and ball control. The players have been trying to keep their heads up and learn as much as they can from each practice. Each member has put in time and dedication to the team, from four hour practices to scrimmages until eight o’clock.

Senior Chloe Scheitzach has played for North all four years of high school.

“The coaching staff pushes us harder than anyone and supports us and encourages us no matter what,” Scheitzach said.

The team dynamic is strong this year since they did not lose many seniors last year. The athletes have been playing together for many years and they are friends outside of school. The new freshman have fit right in with the players as well. They enjoy many laughs and fun times together bonding as a team.

The team has a strong chance of making a State tournament appearance this year. They have two stand out players who have been looked at by colleges and one has committed. Senior Kamri Heath has committed to play at the Air Force Academy and Junior Graycen Holden has offers from Oklahoma Baptist University, Missouri Southern State University and more. The girls are hoping with a lot of work and a little bit of luck they can walk away from this season with a State ring.

For any questions or concerns please email [email protected].