Assemblies are an antinomy

Assemblies are an antinomy

Chad Synan, North Staff Writer

Assemblies at Edmond North are a cherished tradition of both the student body and the staff. It is a time to relax and enjoy watching entertaining performances and rally for football games. I am of the opinion, however, that we should discontinue this trend of school assemblies all together. There are several reasons for this. Primarily, I defer to the fact that our school assemblies are composed of banal, uninviting, nonsense that no one cares to see. The stringent regulation that has been imposed upon this event has lead to the diminution of their overall quality

. For instance, last year, our Senior class was not allowed to present their dance at BALTO Week. Administrators will say it was due to an inability to share any footage of their dance, but most informal reports from the participants would suggest otherwise- there was inappropriate material that prevented it from being presented.. But that is neither here nor there. The administration takes great strides insofar as restricting use of controversial material (such as music with explicit lyrics or more bombastic contests than “running to sonic to get a slush”).

Assemblies are un-democratic, too. They are “student ran,” which is a fancy euphemism at best. There is a social élite who run the student council, STUCO for short. There is also a strong inclination to believe that many of these students elected into STUCO are only selected out of favoritism rather than by merit. Of course, even if that is completely false, the alternative is not much better. It is really just a popularity contest for who is elected into offices.

Moreover, assemblies are just a waste of time. The events take away a large amount of class time, and are frequently set up to occur around crucial times of the year (such as finals and major tests). That is obviously problematic for students who want to study for their AP exams. Lastly, I would like to point to public opinion. Look at the audience when you are at an assembly. Are they engaged? Intrigued? To say so would be laughable. The majority of kids are staring into their phone screens, waiting out a prison sentence that never seems to end. One can only hope that there is either reform or that the whole thing in itself is shut down. As seen by the recent trends within our school to make them more boring, one must not think hard about what viable alternatives remain. Consequently, I hold that we should discontinue the practice of assemblies all together. Down with school assemblies!

Chad Synan, North Staff Writer

Hello everyone, I would like to start by saying that I'm absolutely elated that I'll be writing for Ruff Draft this year! This is my first year writing,...

• Assemblies are an antinomy

Battle of the Norths

• Assemblies are an antinomy

North Pom is the sweetest in the state

• Assemblies are an antinomy

2019 Volunteer Opportunities

Escape or die

• Assemblies are an antinomy

Tamashii Ramen: Japanese comfort food meets the Midwest

• Assemblies are an antinomy

North

Bouncing their way to State

• Assemblies are an antinomy

French fellows experience life at Edmond North

• North

How to: Make Holiday Cookies

• Assemblies are an antinomy

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Assemblies are an antinomy