New construction brings new music to Santa Fe

Construction for the new band room on the northwest corner of campus is underway.

Myel Solorzano

Myel Solorzano

Myel Solorzano

Amy Lam, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Santa Fe began construction during the summer of 2018 on the northwest corner of campus. The construction, which will be a safe room and a new band room, is going to connect to the Fine Arts halls.

Since the classes that meet in the current classrooms in the Fine Arts have outgrown their rooms, they will be relocated. When the construction is completed, and the band and orchestra classes have moved to their new locations, these smaller classes will have places to move.

“The orchestra is going to move into the band room and the choir is going to move into the orchestra room. The drama classes are going to move into the choir room and the drama room is going to become a multipurpose room and an instrument storage room,” band director Sarah Neely said.

The original band room was designed for 100 people but since has grown to 203 students, so the new band room will have enough room for a continued growing program, as well as designated storage for everything.

Since all the classes in the Fine Arts hall will realign and move into the other rooms, the Fine Arts teachers are going to adjust to the new rooms in the arts hall next year. The teachers also have many plans for their new rooms.

“We’re planning on half of the room being for show choir and half of the room for choir,” women’s choir teacher Jeanine Gully said.

The new rooms will provide the teachers with storage for equipment and instruments and room for all the students this year and the years to come.

“Expanding the space we have and more practice rooms will be the best benefit,” orchestra assistant Sharon Moore said.

Santa Fe’s new edition to the Fine Arts hall is expected to be completed by July 2019 and will be welcomed by all teachers and students affected.

For more information, email Amy Lam at [email protected]