National Honor Society brings out Christmas spirit

+NHS+members+Carson+Smith+and+Sarah+Short+cheerfully+wrap+gifts+for+the+family+of+seven.

NHS members Carson Smith and Sarah Short cheerfully wrap gifts for the family of seven.

Andrea Hernandez

Andrea Hernandez

Andrea Hernandez

Anastasia Mercer, Santa Fe Online Managing Editor

Santa Fe’s National Honor Society (NHS) is gearing up to give back to the community for this holiday season. Every year, the members of NHS buy several gifts for a family who is assigned by the Hope Center of Edmond. Once all gifts are brought to school the students spend time after school and during lunch to wrap all of the gifts.

The Hope Center of Edmond was established in 1984 as an organization to meet the basic needs of the Edmond residents. Through the Hope Center, there are numerous ways to volunteer, such as donating food and clothes or working on special projects. During the Christmas project, a family signs up and then pairs with a school or group looking to contribute.

“The kids are taking pride in blessing a family through the Hope Center on Christmas,” math teacher and NHS sponsor Allison Beverage said.

The family assigned to Santa Fe this year has two parents and five children. The members of NHS are buying gifts and helping wrap all of the presents so everything will be ready by Christmas day.

NHS members and sponsors feel this is a great opportunity to bless a family in need for the holidays. Students express how Edmond is known to be a more wealthy community and opportunities such as this do not come around every day.

“I feel very grateful and humbled to be able to see those children and parents have presents under the tree,” senior NHS treasurer Sidney May said. “To come from a town and school system such as Edmond that is typically more wealthy absolutely puts our lives into perspective when we see how much we have in comparison to others.”

Christmas is known to be an important holiday to volunteer because it affects the families who cannot afford to buy presents. Contributing to those in need is a major priority of NHS because it is rewarding and impacts families. NHS will continue throughout the year to do charity work and participate in organizations that assist those in need.

For additional information contact Anastasia Mercer at: [email protected]