The new version of Deadpool

The new version of Deadpool

Once Upon a Deadpool poster featuring Fred Savage and Deadpool riding into the holiday season.

Mikayla Barstow, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Spoiler alert: Once Upon a Deadpool is the same film as Deadpool 2.

Marvel fans know Deadpool as a sarcastic, witty, fourth-wall-breaking character (a character that is aware of their fictional nature) with an unfiltered mind. Not all young superhero fans have been able to experience Deadpool because of its R-rated material until now with the new release Once Upon a Deadpool, which is Deadpool 2 with a PG-13 rating. Deadpool 2 is originally filled with foul-mouthed language, gore and everything in between that makes the film rated R, but Once Upon a Deadpool is the more teen-friendly version of the same film.

The producers of Deadpool 2, Simon Kinberg, Lauren Donner and Ryan Reynolds who also plays Deadpool/Wade Wilson, revamped the movie to create a more Christmas-themed version. Deadpool reads off the storyline of Deadpool 2 to Fred Savage in a replicated child bedroom stage from The Princess Bride.

Since the character Deadpool is known to break the fourth-wall, he addresses the audience that this film is a “family film” and literally bleeps out any content that would be allowed in the rated-R film. Deadpool’s goal, besides the obvious goal of stopping the villain Fire Fist, (Julian Dennison), is to find his own family. Yet another reason why Deadpool sarcastically claims that this is a family film.

There is no reason to worry about hearing the “f-word” unless the audience is like Wade Wilson where the only “f-word” in Once Upon a Deadpool is “family.” There is still language throughout the film but only to a limit. Compared to the original, there is much less language in Once Upon a Deadpool.

There is still violence, however, but not with the abundance of blood and gore from the original screenplay. Through the gun and sword fights, there is little to no blood shown to the audience. The producers and director, David Leitch, even make sure to crop the scene showing when Deadpool is literally torn in half and focus solely on his facial expressions to make sure the scene is a cleaner cut.

Other than a few cut-scenes from the main storyline to humorous dialogue between Deadpool and Fred Savage, Once Upon a Deadpool is no different from the first Deadpool. There are still the same actors, characters and plot.

Once Upon a Deadpool is certainly for anyone who was not able to see the original Deadpool 2 or under the R-rating age restriction. There’s no reason to worry about missing out on the original film’s version of Deadpool because, while Once Upon a Deadpool is censored, there is still well-presented comedy and action throughout.

For more information, contact Mikayla Barstow at [email protected]

Beyonce “Homecoming”

Hustling with heart

• The new version of Deadpool

Society’s disorder: “Shrill”

• The new version of Deadpool

Heroine: a tragic story of teen drug addiction

• The new version of Deadpool

Is Human Anatomy worth it?

• The new version of Deadpool

Animals are against abuse

• The new version of Deadpool

March Madness gets insane

• The new version of Deadpool

April Blood Drive

• The new version of Deadpool

Does society praise criminals?

• The new version of Deadpool

Protecting teens from nicotine

The new version of Deadpool