STEM: Starting off young

STEM: Starting off young

Koby Goree, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Society continues to advance as we introduce ideas to younger generations. Edmond Santa Fe contributes to this growth by introducing their STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) program to elementary schools. STEM is involved with almost everything, including careers such as astronomy and political sciences.

Santa Fe introduces elementary school students to STEM through many different activities involving the various subjects the program covers. There are lessons for all ages of elementary school students that will give them an understanding of what STEM really is.

“We have about 20 to 24 different lessons that cover different areas of our STEM program,” STEM and Robotics teacher Randall Blackwood said. “These lessons range from electricity, green energy, chemistry and physics for more of the fifth graders. For the younger kids we have lessons more like astronomy, geology rocks, planes and even bubbles.”

With new CAD (computer-aided drawing) and CAM (computer-aided manufacturing) programs, Blackwood plans on adding additional lessons involving those programs. He also plans on adding more robotics-related lessons so students would see what Santa Fe’s robotics class has to offer.

These lessons are not only offered to give elementary students a STEM and Robotics experience but also acts as a fundraiser for Santa Fe’s robotics team when students pay for the given lessons.

“Our program serves two purposes,” Robotics teacher and Science Department Chair Cheri Blackwood said. “It acts as a nice experience for elementary school students and as a fundraiser for our robotics team.”

Santa Fe’s robotics team has it’s first competition for this year coming up in the spring. For the competition, the team is required to build a robot.

“Typically, these robots are huge,” Blackwood says. “The robots usually weigh up to about 120 pounds and are about five feet tall.”

Santa Fe’s STEM and Robotics programs has a lot to offer for students, old and young. STEM and robotics are also involved in many careers people end up choosing, so taking one of theses classes might end up helping students in the future.

For more information, contact Koby Goree at [email protected]

Koby Goree, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Hi, My name is Koby Goree. I am a sophomore at Edmond Santa Fe High School. I play trumpet in my school's regular band and jazz band. I hope to take music...

• STEM: Starting off young

North Pom is the sweetest in the state

• STEM: Starting off young

The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

• STEM: Starting off young

Multi-Cultural club: bringing cultures together

• STEM: Starting off young

National Honor Society brings the Christmas spirit

• STEM: Starting off young

StuCo spreads positivity this holiday season

• STEM: Starting off young

Francis Tuttle provides different education opportunities

• STEM: Starting off young

Freshman all-state stars

• STEM: Starting off young

EMHS Choir goes to OSU

• STEM: Starting off young

Principal Rose takes to the skies

• STEM: Starting off young

French fellows experience life at Edmond North

STEM: Starting off young