Tips on how to power through next semester

The meme is an example on how power studying is

The meme is an example on how power studying is "ruff" on the brain.

Brianna Sivils, Santa Fe Staff Writer

The school year can bring an abundance of studying and hours of studying can cause stress but there are ways to keep this stress from taking over. Some tips include: taking breaks, completing practice quizzes and learning time management.

Taking small 10 minute breaks during a study session can drastically increase your memory and lessen the stress of studying. These breaks are known to lower study fatigue and help with connectivity between neural pathways (onlineschools.org).

A neural pathway is how the brain connects different regions and areas together. This is how the brain sends messages and information from one hemisphere or region to the other (visitcore.com).

Taking naps, time to meditate or going outside for fresh air can help reduce the stress of studying as well as help calm your mind. A study done at Western Reserve University found that a quick 10-20 minute power nap can help with academic focus by increasing memory with names, facts, and dates as well as boost creativity (onlineschools.org).

However, there is a time period where it is suggested as too long of a nap for the brain that will make you feel more tired and less alert. During sleep, the brain goes through five stages.

During the first stage, known as Alpha, it is typically the point of falling asleep. The second stage is where the brain produces Sleep Spindles, which are slow and last about twenty minutes. The third stage introduces Delta waves and transitions between light and deep sleep. In the fourth wave, this is where Delta sleep actually occurs and lasts about 30 minutes. Lastly, the fifth stage is called rapid eye movement sleep (REM sleep). This is where dreaming occurs (psychcentral.com).

Re-taking past quizzes or finding ones online to use is a beneficial way to help study when preparing for a quiz or test. The quizzes can help retain information that was lost or help by remembering what was already learned or well-studied.

The benefit of taking practice quizzes is that it will help the learner find what they already know. These tests can help by eliminating the material that will waste time and energy that can be used for reviewing more difficult topics or information that have not already been learned.

In psychology, there is a process called the forgetting curve. This is when we start to retain information, then the brain tries to figure out how long the information is needed and how fast it can be forgotten (questionmark.com).

Lastly, time management helps students with ACT and SAT practices, too. Through the ACT or SAT, students learn to answer each question in a timely fashion to complete the test and move on to the next section by the required time given is up (learningworksforkids.com).

Time management is an important skill to master for school because it helps with judging how long an activity or homework assignment will take to complete.

These pointers for next semester and the rest of students high school career can help with the overall stress of studying and test prep.

For more information, contact Brianna Sivils at [email protected]

• Tips on how to power through next semester

Health issues impacting teens

Attendance policies for exemptions

Lady bulldog soccer

Bulldogs become regional champs

The new band room has arrived

Should skateboarding be an Olympic event?

Memorial dancer shines on “World of Dance”

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

Happy Death Day 2U is 2good 2be true

The impact holding a job has on high schoolers