The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

Hannah Prentice, Memorial Staff Writer

As the spring semester began for Edmond Public Schools (EPS), a new campaign started as well. The #thinkbeforeyoupost campaign is being advertised through all of EPS as a way to encourage students to remember the long-lasting effects their actions on social media can have on their lives.

This campaign is meant to bring awareness to social media use among students in the district and their families,” said Edmond Memorial Head Principal Anthony Rose. “Social media can be a great thing, if used in a responsible way, but unfortunately, there have been many instances of it [social media] being used to share inappropriate pictures, hoax threats, hate speech and cyberbullying. Our goal is to help families have these discussions at home so students will begin to ‘think before they post’ on a daily basis.”

While the schools recognize the widespread use of social media within the student body, they are also reminding students that future employers and college admission counselors will look at the posts connected to the individuals.

I think the more students are aware of the harm, the more change can occur; spreading the issues social media can cause is nothing new,” Rose said. “Something unique to this campaign is that it is geared to spreading awareness throughout the community, because if we can lead this effort to cause family discussions at home, then we are hoping to start seeing the change here at Edmond Memorial as well.”

Though social media can be an effective method to stay informed and connected to others, it has led to an increase in discipline issues for school administrators to address.

“The investigations [into social media related discipline issues], which often extend well beyond the school day, consume administrators’ time and attention, drain law enforcement resources and create unwarranted anxiety and panic for parents,” Associate Superintendent Debbie Bendick said.

Many students also have strong opinions about the optimistic goals of the #thinkbeforeyoupost campaign.

“The #thinkbeforeyoupost campaign is the school’s way of positively attempting to sway the students to creating a more positive atmosphere on their social media platforms,” said active social media user and Memorial senior Angelo Lopez. “I believe in the power of the student body and that if they understand the consequences of the things they post, it will create a real change in students lives.”

Everyone from students to administrators are hopeful for the results of this new campaign flooding the halls of Memorial.

“We hope the visibility of the campaign will encourage parents and guardians to talk to their children about the appropriate use of their personal devices and the social media tools available to them,” Bendick said. “We take very seriously the safety of our students and hope that this initiative will enhance the partnership we enjoy with our students’ parents as we work together to preserve their children’s innocence and protect their futures.”

Contact Hannah Prentice at [email protected]

Hannah Prentice, Memorial Co-Editor-In-Chief

Hi, my name is Hannah Prentice. I am a senior at Edmond Memorial and have been blessed enough to be chosen as the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Memorial division...

• The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

Project Period helps women in need

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

Pitch fast dream harder

Spectacular Showtimes at Showbiz

Bouncing into homecoming

Record number of musicians make CODA honors

OCDA all-state choirs take on Yukon

Huskies Head to the Ivys

• Feature

From Greece to America

North Pom is the sweetest in the state