Trump wants his wall, and he wants it now

Trump negotiates with Democrats on wall funding, following the government shutdown.

Natalia Mora, Memorial Staff Writer

In the efforts of forwarding one of his earliest and most adamant campaign promises, President Donald Trump reinforced what is now the longest government shutdown in U.S. history Dec. 22. The pressure, according to Trump, lies on Democrats to make negotiations and promise a $5.7B scoop of the national budget for building the pronounced border wall between the United States and Mexico. This, he says, is all part of his plan to more strongly reinforce border security, before his jurisdiction as president expires in January of 2021.

The shutdown resulted in over 800,000 government workers failing to receive their first paycheck Friday, Jan. 11. The shutdown directly impacts government facilities such as TSA lanes, national parks and routine House and Senate meetings. Since the shutdown is partial, Trump as president has the jurisdiction to control which services to freeze, raising concerns on an ulterior motive, even though Trump indicates his interest in making the shutdown “as painless as possible.”

President Trump is not stirred by the impending consequences, even relapsing its severity with a threat of declaring a national emergency, arguing its simplicity. Pressure continues to lie on both parties to reach a deal that can satisfy Trump’s demand without tanking federal debt to what would be one of its highest points in U.S. history. Trump also denied compromise plans out of desperation to temporarily reopen the government for border funding negotiations, which included a starting deal of $1.3 billion dedicated to the project.

“It should be the easiest deal that I’ve ever seen,” Trump said. “We’re talking about border security — who could be against it?”

If Trump does not take action now, he likely would not gather the funding to forward this campaign promise during his presidential term, which is why he’s pulled harrowing evocations of scare tactics to ensure its propriety before the end of his term. The fallacy is incredibly destructive to not only government facilities, but to the body of American citizens in tandem with the federal government.

Trump’s increased interest in “border security” is an excuse to intimidate Mexicans away from American citizenship, split families and uproot foundations in government, in proposals such as 14th amendment abolishment. Myself being an opportunist Mexican-American Democrat, the surrounding events feel like an imposing dystopia.

In his negotiations, Trump repeatedly enforces that as president, he has “the absolute right” to propose a national emergency, bypass Congress, and bring about a virtually useless, divisive solution to border security, which he assumes is a strategy any well-off American would stand behind.

His proposition is not only sorely riddled with fallacies, but most severely, his disregard for the suffering of the American people in enforcing his action, no matter how polarized it may be. This is a stance that, from an objective standpoint, should be observed by both parties from an economic level, without even yet considering the political implications this demand causes.

In recent opinion polls, the majority of participants identify Trump as the primary cause for the government shutdown crisis over Democrats for not following through with his deal.

The advocacy of separatism that has been present through the shutdown holds immeasurable weight on the divides between not only nationalities but political parties alike.

If Trump wants to convince the Democratic party to set aside funding for the wall, the set of tactics he is enforcing to sway them is, as indicated by the destruction ensued, utterly futile.

Natalia Mora, Memorial Staff Writer

Hello! My name is Natalia Mora. I am a junior staff writer at Edmond Memorial High School, returning for my second year on staff.

I currently work with...

• Trump wants his wall, and he wants it now

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

Madison Rightmire: paintball above all

Preparing for 2020 presidency

Changing American prisons

Shutdown affects Memorial families

Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

Academic team crowned area champions

Project Period helps women in need

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

Satisfied with “The Upside”