2019 volunteer opportunities

2019 volunteer opportunities

Volunteering can be fun with when helping out with friends and family.

Addie Detrich, North Staff Writer

For some, the new year brings visions of ab workouts and salads, while others take joy in the beginning of new opportunities. According to a recent ComRes poll published in The Telegraph, 15% of new year’s resolutions are to learn a new skill or hobby. What’s a better way to accomplish this than to volunteer locally, all while giving back to the community? Additionally, upperclassmen with a need for more community service on their transcript can benefit from helping out at all of these programs.

Commonwealth Urban Farms of OKC in north Oklahoma City is an awesome choice for a hands-on plant lover. Along with the chance to volunteer every Saturday, they also offer a youth apprenticeship, which is a commitment for 3 months with 30 total hours, averaging 3 hours a week. Students get to volunteer on Saturdays from 9 am to 12 pm to accomplish their hours.

While working outside in a healthy environment, the volunteers are learning about how to care for the earth and new skills that can be implemented in everyday life with the ability to teach others. These accomplishments include gaining experience in sowing seeds, planting out seedlings, watering, digging holes, practicing vermiculture and composting. Anyone with some dirt and a watering can can grow their own food from scratch and contribute to Mother Nature’s wellbeing. Lia Woods, the coordinator for the program, is excited to offer students such an amazing leadership opportunity.

“Youth who gain enough experience have the opportunity to teach other volunteers and visitors about the farm and specific aspects of what we do,” Woods said.

A well-known opportunity is the Free To Live Animal Sanctuary. People 18 and older can work in the dog kennels and do yard work while anyone 14 and older can work the cattery. These jobs include doing work like cleaning cages, feeding and watering, and giving affection to the afflicted animals. All animal lovers would enjoy this opportunity and it does not come without benefits.

The Oklahoma City Zoo offers a junior curator program for teens aged 14-17 years old. The commitment is a 10-month period with 110 hours of work. This program would work out best for someone who is willing to contribute at least 11 hours a month to volunteering. Obviously, this would add some brownie points to any resume or transcript, especially to a zoology or like course. This job can also help students gain life and presentation skills, where they may have to talk to visitors about exhibits or accompany mentors to public classes. An application and interview process are required to participate.

Leadership is something almost all colleges look at when reviewing college applications. Whether it be an extracurricular activity, like counseling at a summer camp or leading worship at youth group, or a curricular activity, it is a must to plan what path you will pave towards future success.

Contact Addie Detrich at [email protected].

Addie Detrich, North Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Addie, I'm a sophomore, and this is my second year on Ruff Draft. I really like to write reviews on movies, music, and other entertainment....

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

P!nk flies high during OKC concert

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

March Madness recap

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

College admissions scandal: the unfair advantages of wealth in America

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Fans aren’t “SLEEPING” on Billie Eilish’s new album

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Solving the Oklahoma state budget by legalizing cannabis

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Vaccinations and the measles outbreak

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Logan’s musical journey

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Different skateboard brands and how they compare

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

Dance recognition in the world

• 2019 volunteer opportunities

“Why Don’t We” go to a concert

2019 volunteer opportunities