Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Lauren Hill ([email protected]), North Staff Writer

“Black Mirror” is a Netflix TV show that depicts Utopian and apocalyptic worlds centered around the advancement of technology. “Bandersnatch” is different than the usual “Black Mirror” episodes as it is a movie where there are several different variations of an ending based upon the viewers choices throughout the film.

Each episode uses different forms of technology, from something as extreme as robot dogs to something as small as social media, to subliminally show viewers what could very well be in store for society’s future now. Social media, while it has many pros, has already created an unrealistic standard for body image, relationships, the food you eat, etc.

When “Black Mirror” released “Bandersnatch”, viewers were aware that they would be choosing the ending due to what choices they made throughout the film. But what I never saw coming was how realistic the film was, how sneakily it attacked subconscious fears and thoughts, and how it left you in a state of confusion, even going as far as making you question your own reality.

“Bandersnatch” is definitely the psychological thriller of the century, as it preys on the viewers subconscious mind. Those with certain mental illnesses that have dissociation and paranoia as symptoms should steer clear of “Bandersnatch,” as it seems every scene there is a new subconscious trigger. From government facilitated relatives to someone controlling your every move, “Bandersnatch” is definitely a trigger zone.

But if you are not one who suffers from mental illness with symptoms that could be easier triggered, “Bandersnatch” is a jaw dropping, thrilling psychological joyride. It has an amazing storyline, is interactive, and makes the viewer think about the base formation of the world we live in as well as the genuinity of our society. Viewers should just be warned that even if you don’t think it could trigger you, if you have even the slightest bit of paranoia or paranoia induced anxiety, “Bandersnatch” is a no go.

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Satisfied with “The Upside”

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

YOU Have Got to Watch This

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

North

Bird Box cautions the uncertainty movie review

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

A Netflix redemption with “Sex Education”

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

The hidden meaning behind “7 Rings” lyrics

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Heard it in a Past Life: Maggie Rogers big debut

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

“Glass” movie review

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Spider-Man swings back into theaters

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

North

Simulation Theory

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch