Huskies Head to the Ivys

Huskies Head to the Ivys

Savanna Rush, Ruff Draff Writer

Seniors Shabeeba Kasem and Savannah Steele were accepted into ivy league colleges, both with acceptance rates below 20%. Kasem was admitted to the University of Columbia in New York City. Steele decided on Columbia’s sister school, Barnard College. Barnard is one of the oldest all girls colleges in the world focused on liberal arts. Barnard was initially founded because Columbia did not allow women to apply to their university.

Steele will be on pre-law track studying political science with a minor in Spanish. Steele provided more information on her final decisions for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year.

“I applied and was admitted to four schools, however Barnard was my first choice and I applied early decision,” Steele said.

Early decision is a binding contract between the applicant and the University that states if granted admission the applicant will attend. So, after being admitted early decision Steele knew she would be attending Barnard.

To prepare for admission, Steele took classes such as AP World History, AP United States History, AP Biology, AP Language, AP Lit, AP Spanish, AP Calculus, AP Economics and AP Comparative Government. She is also heavily involved at North. She is the vice president of student council, the treasurer of debate and the vice president of Huskies for Equality. Outside of school, Steele also participated in many internship opportunities, camps, and workshops. She began working on common application and supplemental essays back in July, asking various people to review her essays along the way.

“I did not interview for Barnard, but I did interview for Georgetown,” Steele said. “It was an extremely relaxed conversation in a coffee shop in Oklahoma City. I actually really enjoyed it and learned a lot about the college.”

Kasem plans on majoring in comparative literature with a focus in medicine, literature and society.

“I knew I wanted to go to college in a metropolitan area, but for a long time, my stats were not up to par with my favorite universities,” Kasem said. “After I took the ACT again and recieved my desired score, I began to seriously consider Columbia as a possibility as I researched their progressive core and major programs I realized it was my dream school, and it was perfectly nestled in the intellectual and artistic mecca of NYC. Columbia is the epitome of a liberal arts college, and it was financially feasible for me to go there. Their faculty works at the highest tiers of academia and I appreciated the infinite resources and opportunities it presented to advance a career in the medical field.”

Kasem heavily researched the core philosophy of Columbia and incorporated it into her writing and interview to the best of her ability.

“As an Ivy League institution, it has a low acceptance rate and I was definitely not hopeful about my application,” Kasem said.

Kasem took the following courses to help her chances of admission: AP World History, AP United States History, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, and AP English Language. All of these prior to senior year. This current school year she is taking Economics, Spanish, Statistics, Comparative Government, Physics A, and English Literature.

“I endeavored to take as rigorous a course load that I possibly could without sacrificing important and meaningful electives and activities,” Kasem said. “I knew it was important to have a high weighted GPA. That’s not to say that my AP scores were stellar.”

She focused on specific extracurriculars that she genuinely enjoyed; investing her time in the activities that displayed her best qualities.

Kasem set up her common application, requested recommendations letters from her teachers and current counselor, and wrote her major essay and supplementals.

She had an interview with alumni from the engineering school at Columbia. She was asked questions about her desired major, the university itself, general questions about her academic philosophy and personal interests.

“It was very casual and I prepared for it beforehand,” Kasem said. “My background in debate definitely gave me confidence in my speaking and interview skills and I would definitely recommend practicing your answers to common questions to boost your confidence. Fake it till you make it!”

These girls are great examples for underclassmen seeking to be accepted into college.  

Savanna Rush, North Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Savanna Rush and I am a junior at Edmond North. I enjoy travelling, writing, and shopping. I love seeing my friends, as well as hanging...

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Project Period helps women in need

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Pitch fast dream harder

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Spectacular Showtimes at Showbiz

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Bouncing into homecoming

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

Record number of musicians make CODA honors

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

OCDA all-state choirs take on Yukon

• Feature

From Greece to America

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

North Pom is the sweetest in the state

• Huskies Head to the Ivys

The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

Huskies Head to the Ivys