North Pom is the sweetest in the state

By RACHEL FRANK

North Staff Writer

Edmond North High School’s State Pom team took state on Saturday, Jan 5th with a sugar-themed routine. The State pom team is made up of the most elite girls on ENHS pom. They perform a choreographed routine to perform at state competition. The State pom team has 18 girls including freshman, whereas regular varsity has 24 girls.

The girls had been tirelessly working, especially with the competition being pushed back a month. It was hard for the girls to keep the excitement that they had built up. The State team has spent countless hours working and perfecting every step of the dance. Practice for State began in Aug. and went all the way to the beginning of Jan; Practice was held twice a week.

Pom coach Kendall Allen has been pushing them to work harder, along with Kaci Kilborn, who choreographed the routine. Kilborn is a former Oklahoma University pom girl who works with the Edmond pom teams. Allen loved seeing the girls grow through teamwork and leaders emerging to reach a common goal.

Seniors Mena Suddock and Tatum Richardson are co-captains of the varsity pom team, as well as both being on State pom.

“State Pom was such a great addition to my senior year, and winning that ring made it even better,” Suddock said.

Both seniors wanted to have a new experience for themselves and the team as well as a chance to show off what the team is capable of. State pom was an opportunity for the girls to better themselves and build stronger bonds with the other girls on the team.

“State was an amazing experience for me, and it taught me that sometimes you have to work harder than you think you’re capable of to achieve a goal,” Richardson said.

Madison Suddock and Kendall Carrier are two freshman who worked extremely hard to get onto the State pom team. This year is pom’s first year going to state and Carrier wanted to be apart of that.

“Preparing for state was pretty stressful and a lot of hard work,” Carrier said “In the end, it was totally worth it when finding out we won. It was one of the greatest feelings in the0 world,” Carrier said.

She is glad that all their hard work paid off. The tryouts were stressful and draining but the girls were happy when finding out they made it onto the team.

“Winning was definitely worth the physical toll that preparing took on my body,” Sudduck said.

The State pom season is over and the full focus is going back towards the varsity pom squad. Throughout the whole process of practicing, the girls supported and encouraged each other with the idea of winning State in their mind. The pom team often put themselves down, but had to power through to work their hardest and keep their spirits up. One of the hardest parts for the team was keeping up the energy after a whole day of working hard at school.

In the end, they all believe that it was worth it because of the constant encouragement and brought them closer together.  

• North Pom is the sweetest in the state

Project Period helps women in need

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

Pitch fast dream harder

Spectacular Showtimes at Showbiz

Bouncing into homecoming

Record number of musicians make CODA honors

OCDA all-state choirs take on Yukon

Huskies Head to the Ivys

• Feature

From Greece to America

The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

North Pom is the sweetest in the state