Tamashii Ramen: Japanese comfort food meets the Midwest

Sidney Norman

The "Tonkotsu ramen" is a local favorite.

Sidney Norman, North Staff Photographer

Edmond couple Matt and Wakana Sebacher opened Tamashii Ramen House in Midtown, Oklahoma City, in June of 2015, and more recently opened doors to their second location in downtown Edmond at 132 5th St., bringing this Japanese comfort food to local foodies and college students. The new location holds true to the Midtown menu and also incorporates the same sit-down environment, with carry-out coming soon.

Tamashii is one of two ramen houses in OKC which locals rave over, the other being Goro Ramen on 16 St. in the Plaza District. My first bowl of ramen= happened to be at Tamashii in Midtown and I was blown away by every aspect of my experience there. If you’re looking to eat anywhere in Midtown on a Friday night, there’s pretty much going to be a 20-40 minute wait no matter what. Luckily, we got a booth in around 15 minutes and I was already feeling impressed by the genuine, friendly staff.

The menu at Tamashii has an array of options to choose from, satisfying to both those looking for traditional ramen as well as vegetarians and vegans. The vegan ramen is a subtle vegetable broth, topped with grilled tofu, moyashi (bean sprouts), menma (marinated bamboo), negi (green onion), corn and nori (roasted seaweed squares). Like most newbies to the ramen culture, I was unaware of what most of the items listed on the menu were. The staff was more than willing to help me out and walk me through the ins-and-outs of the menu. Our waiter offered recommendations and even gave us some background on the restaurant itself. Having a new understanding of ramen and also being a vegetarian, I decided on the vegan ramen and it exceeded my highest expectations.

The presentation and flavor were outstanding and unlike anything else I’d ever tasted. Whether you’re a noodle aficionado or looking to explore the world of ramen, Tamashii is a must try for all in the Edmond/OKC area.

For questions or concerns contact [email protected]