Huskies abroad

Huskies abroad

Senior Alysha and sophomore Samaad Siddiqi pose for a selfie in front of a tourist site while on vacation.

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

During the two week long winter break, many students at North travel to fun, exciting, new places around the world. Senior Alysha and sophomore Samad Siddiqi are siblings and traveled to Shanghai, Xi’an and Beijing in China. They chose these places due to their tour guide’s advice – to experience China’s history travel to Xi’an, to see what China’s like today go to Beijing and to see China’s future go to Shanghai.

“My parents are avid travelers and we hadn’t been to East Asia, so it was only fitting we planned our next trip to China,” Alysha Siddiqi said.

While abroad, they traveled to many interesting and iconic tourist attractions. In Shanghai they visited the Oriental Pearl TV Tower and Yuyuan Gardens. The Yuyuan Gardens were built around 400 years ago during the Ming Dynasty. This garden features classical Chinese architecture, sculptures and carvings.

“The atmosphere in Shanghai was so vibrant and the city skyline was stunning,” Alysha Siddiqi said.

In Beijing they visited the Summer Palace and the Hutong streets. The Summer Palace was an imperial garden during the Qing Dynasty, which ended in 1912, with a vast amount of lakes, gardens and palaces. In the Hutong streets of Beijing, tourists will experience the ordinary lifestyle of a Beijinger.

For Alysha, her favorite part was visiting the Muslim Quarters and Terracotta army in Xi’an. The hub of the Muslim community lies in the Muslim Quarters which is inhabited by 20,000 Muslims. One would find about ten mosques, Muslim foods and souvenir markets in this tourist attraction. Xi’an houses a large collection of life size terracotta sculptures of horses and warriors made for the first emperor of China around 259- 210 BC.

“ The sights in China are so unique,” Samad Siddiqi said. “ It was like any other place I had traveled to before.”

Alysha and Samad both enjoyed visiting a new place and experiencing aspects of a different culture. They got to practice bargaining for items and try many traditional Chinese foods they hadn’t heard of before.

For questions or comments please email [email protected].