“Glass” movie review

“Glass” movie review

Chloe Golightly, North Managing Editor

The newest 2019 movie “Glass” brings together three characters from two different movies to create one highly anticipated “comic-book” thriller from director M. Night Shymalan. 2000’s Unbreakable, from Touchstone, and 2016’s Split, from Universal, merge thriller, mystery, fantasy and anticipation into an all new movie produced by two different studios.

The thriller, set just three weeks after the conclusion of “Split,” starts off with David Dunn (from Unbreakable), known as “The Overseer,” using his super-human abilities to pursue Kevin Wendell Crumb (aka “The Horde”) who suffers from dissociative identity disorder. The Overseer encounters “The Beast” (one of the 23 personalities of The Horde) and fights him to release the four cheerleaders The Horde had captive. The two are caught moments later by the authorities and are taken away to a mental institution where The Overseer’s sworn enemy Elijah Price (Mr. Glass) is being held.

Dr. Ellie Staple is in charge at the mental institution and has three days to try and convince the three characters that they are normal and don’t have any superhuman abilities or powers. Dr. Staple has multiple ways to control her patients, including a tank of water for The Overseer (he is scared of drowning) and a strobe light for The Horde that forces him to change identities to prevent The Beast from taking the light.

An escape, a deadly fight and a twist ending (or two) later combine to create the perfect conclusion to a trilogy; however, there are many unanswered questions after watching the movie and many moviegoers said the ending was “unsatisfying.” The thriller only scored a 36% on Rotten Tomatoes, though it was very enjoyable to watch and left me wanting another movie added to the sequel.

Another movie critic said that “Shyamalan finds a way to cram Dunn, Glass and Crumb into the same fictional universe, but he hasn’t found a persuasive way to make them fit together.”

Watching this thriller at the new movie theater “Showbiz” in a reclining chair in between my two best friends and little sister enhanced my experience and made me want to watch the movie again as soon as it ended.

Bringing together three superhuman characters from two movies that all believe that they have superhuman abilities created the perfect suspenseful, twist ending that will leave the watcher on the edge of their seat wanting more.

If you have any questions, email me at [email protected].

• “Glass” movie review

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

• “Glass” movie review

Madison Rightmire: paintball above all

• “Glass” movie review

Preparing for 2020 presidency

• “Glass” movie review

Changing American prisons

• “Glass” movie review

Shutdown affects Memorial families

• “Glass” movie review

Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

• “Glass” movie review

Academic team crowned area champions

• “Glass” movie review

Project Period helps women in need

• “Glass” movie review

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

• “Glass” movie review

Satisfied with “The Upside”

“Glass” movie review