Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Students can opt out of taking one final exam if they are eligible for an exemption.

Megan Cherry, Memorial Staff Writer

Edmond Public Schools (EPS) exemptions from semester exams create immense stress for students, teachers, administrators and parents alike and the current policy needs to be reviewed.

While being eligible for an exemption should be difficult to achieve, it should not be so far out of reach for hard working students. EPS policy regarding exemptions states that in order to be eligible, a student should have no more than three absences in any class and no more than three tardies in all classes. The student must also have a letter grade of at least a B in the class of the final they would like to exempt. These are reasonable criteria to be met; however, the policy takes these regulations to the extreme.

Students are also allowed to miss school for college visits, school activities and death in the immediate family, these do not count against them. Absences including medical, judicial and family emergencies do count against exemptions.

Medical issues should not keep students from the exemption, but they do. If a student is contagious and told by a doctor to stay home, the student likely will attempt to keep their exemption by going against the doctor’s orders. They work so hard for this reward, but should a student become ill, they lose the exemption, this is not right.

According to the district, exemptions are a reward for students that come to school consistently. They are not meant to punish, but it feels like it does. Students should not be punished if they are legitimately ill.

Exemptions cause so many issues. It’s possible that the solution may be to just discontinue them all together, but exemptions are not the issue; the policy is. If the school board were to change the policy regarding illnesses and doctor visits, students would be willing to stay home to recover instead of coming to school and potentially making other kids sick. Exemptions are extremely valuable to students who are really putting forth the effort to use exemptions for their true intentions.

Contact Megan Cherry at [email protected]

Megan Cherry, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Megan Cherry and I am a junior at Memorial. This is my second year on newspaper. I am also involved in choir, show choir, and swine week...

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

P!nk flies high during OKC concert

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

March Madness recap

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

College admissions scandal: the unfair advantages of wealth in America

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Fans aren’t “SLEEPING” on Billie Eilish’s new album

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Solving the Oklahoma state budget by legalizing cannabis

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Vaccinations and the measles outbreak

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Logan’s musical journey

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Different skateboard brands and how they compare

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Dance recognition in the world

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

“Why Don’t We” go to a concert

Exemptions lost and the issue at hand