Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Students can opt out of taking one final exam if they are eligible for an exemption.

Megan Cherry, Memorial Staff Writer

Edmond Public Schools (EPS) exemptions from semester exams create immense stress for students, teachers, administrators and parents alike and the current policy needs to be reviewed.

While being eligible for an exemption should be difficult to achieve, it should not be so far out of reach for hard working students. EPS policy regarding exemptions states that in order to be eligible, a student should have no more than three absences in any class and no more than three tardies in all classes. The student must also have a letter grade of at least a B in the class of the final they would like to exempt. These are reasonable criteria to be met; however, the policy takes these regulations to the extreme.

Students are also allowed to miss school for college visits, school activities and death in the immediate family, these do not count against them. Absences including medical, judicial and family emergencies do count against exemptions.

Medical issues should not keep students from the exemption, but they do. If a student is contagious and told by a doctor to stay home, the student likely will attempt to keep their exemption by going against the doctor’s orders. They work so hard for this reward, but should a student become ill, they lose the exemption, this is not right.

According to the district, exemptions are a reward for students that come to school consistently. They are not meant to punish, but it feels like it does. Students should not be punished if they are legitimately ill.

Exemptions cause so many issues. It’s possible that the solution may be to just discontinue them all together, but exemptions are not the issue; the policy is. If the school board were to change the policy regarding illnesses and doctor visits, students would be willing to stay home to recover instead of coming to school and potentially making other kids sick. Exemptions are extremely valuable to students who are really putting forth the effort to use exemptions for their true intentions.

Contact Megan Cherry at [email protected]

Megan Cherry, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Megan Cherry and I am a junior at Memorial. This is my second year on newspaper. I am also involved in choir, show choir, and swine week...

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Madison Rightmire: paintball above all

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Preparing for 2020 presidency

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Changing American prisons

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Shutdown affects Memorial families

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Academic team crowned area champions

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Project Period helps women in need

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

• Exemptions lost and the issue at hand

Satisfied with “The Upside”

Exemptions lost and the issue at hand