Academic team crowned area champions

Academic team crowned area champions

Memorial's academic team is comprised of many intelligent students.

Tala Trad, Memorial Staff Writer

Eight of Edmond Memorial’s Academic Team members took home the title of Area Champions at the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Associations (OSSAA) Academic Bowl Area in Yukon Jan. 12, qualifying them for state.

“I’m really happy with how our team performed this year, especially after losing some key senior contributors last year,” coach Jordan Gotcher said.

Memorial’s Academic Team will be going in the third seed overall in the OSSAA state competition, facing tough competitors like Booker T. Washington High School, who will be returning to the class 6A category as the number one seed after being in the 5A category last year.

The team practiced and studied in a variety of different ways to prepare for OSSAA Area. Within the Academic Team class and club, the team would run over past and mock Academic Bowl questions and discuss the question format. OSSAA Academic Bowls are composed of four rounds with 20 questions in the first and second rounds and in the third and fourth round, 60 second questions the team must answer all together. According to junior Oliver Wu, who won against Santa Fe when it got down to sudden death in the last question, they came up with other ways to prepare for OSSAA Area like making Quizlets and examining past ones on their own time.

“In the class, kids make different presentations on a topic that will come up,” Wu said. “We focused on literature for this one.”

Prior to OSSAA Area, the Academic Team also participated in OSSAA districts and qualified for nationals for this year’s National Academic Quiz Tournament (NAQT). Gotcher’s hopes for this year’s state competition are that they can perform as well as they did last year when they won second and that they can carry on that success to NAQT nationals.

“I’m hoping we go [to nationals], but it all depends on how funding works,” Wu said.
Gotcher is confident that even if they do not bring home a state win, the fun, bright group he has now is setting up a strong chance for the team in the coming years.

Contact Tala Trad at [email protected].