Work hard, travel harder

Work hard, travel harder

Physics teacher Zach Kraeger was able to spend his winter break doing something out of the ordinary: going to Iceland.

Avery Tawater, Memorial Staff Writer

While most teachers spent Winter break catching up on sleep and grading papers, Memorial physics teacher Zack Kraeger took a trip to Iceland with his significant other and Memorial alum, Carlie Pearson.

The 8-hour flight wasn’t too big of a hassle for the happy couple, eager for the new adventures and memories they would make.  

“I wanted to go to Iceland to do a few things: see the Northern Lights, go to hot pots which are hot springs of lava spots everywhere and to see the ice caves and a giant glacier,” Kraeger said.

Kraeger explained that the 300-meter glacier the area is known for is experiencing a tremendous amount of damage due to global warming.

“They told me within a 100 years the whole glacier will be completely gone because of global warming and how quickly it’s melting,” Kraeger said. “Constantly water is shedding off all the time and they aren’t receiving the snowfall that normally replenishes it. It’s really sad.”

However, seeing the sight where glaciers became icebergs, known as the glacial lagoon, was a highlight of the trip.

Iceland is not the first time out of the country for this traveling duo, with the next possibility of it being in Latin America.

“We’ve been to Slovenia and during that trip, we went to Italy, Croatia and Austria,” Kraeger said. “Overall the trips I’ve made, they were pretty eye-opening to me.”

Being able to see the glacier clear through and see what was going on with it was indescribable to Kraeger.

He encourages everyone to travel at least once in their lifetime, somewhere adventurous and out of the ordinary that one would normally never go to.

Contact Avery Tawater at [email protected]

Beyonce “Homecoming”

Hustling with heart

• Work hard, travel harder

Society’s disorder: “Shrill”

• Work hard, travel harder

Heroine: a tragic story of teen drug addiction

• Work hard, travel harder

Is Human Anatomy worth it?

• Work hard, travel harder

Animals are against abuse

• Work hard, travel harder

March Madness gets insane

• Work hard, travel harder

April Blood Drive

• Work hard, travel harder

Does society praise criminals?

• Work hard, travel harder

Protecting teens from nicotine

Work hard, travel harder