Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

Not only did Memorial win the tournament, but three players earned places on the all tournament team.

Autumn Tennyson, Memorial Staff Writer

The championship was at the tip of their fingers, but would memorial Boys’ basketball beat the number one team in the state? Jan. 14, at the Bishop McGuinness Classic they did just that, defeating cross town rival Edmond Santa Fe High School with a score of 56-42.

“It was great that we were able to go undefeated for the whole tournament. It will allow us to continue improving the rest of the season,” senior Jacob Thionnet said.

The last time they played Bishop McGuinness memorial came in second place.

“I felt very honored and accomplished to be able to help lead my team, freshman Javion Seat said.” The whole team helped me as a whole.”

Memorial’s head basketball coach Shane Cowherd decided to put Seat on the varsity starting lineup based on his attendance and his effort. In the past years, Memorial’s basketball team has not had a freshman start for the varsity team.

“We don’t care about the classifications; however whoever shows the most effort on and off the court deserves the opportunity to start on the varsity line up,” Coward said.

Memorial’s basketball team played Bishop McGuinness last year and they knew they were up against an extremely talented team.

“There was two minutes left in the fourth quarter and we went up by 12 in those two minutes,” Thionnet said.

The game was close enough to cause the team shake in their seats, the nerve racking game made the audience and the players tense.

The team has stepped up and followed through with more drills, longer practices and more running to prepare for the championship.

“We have improved to make our record much better than last season,” Thionnet said.

The main source of guiding some of these players through the game was Coach Coward and senior Drew Tennial leading this team on day and night.

“I just encouraged them to not overthink the game and to make sure to enjoy every moment they step foot on the court,” Tennial said.

Tennial was also named the most valuable player for the game. The team had had huge successes this year as they are having a record of 13-1, the team has won 11 straight games and their next boys game is Feb. 1 against Mustang High School.

Contact Autumn Tennyson at [email protected]

Autumn Tennyson, Memorial Staff Writer

Hi my name is Autumn Tennyson and I am a junior at Edmond Memorial High School. This is my first year on staff and so far I am loving it. I joined staff...

• Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

Madison Rightmire: paintball above all

Preparing for 2020 presidency

Changing American prisons

Shutdown affects Memorial families

Academic team crowned area champions

Project Period helps women in need

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

Satisfied with “The Upside”

Valentine’s Day is back in style