Max Myers named COAC Swimmer of the Year

Sophomore Max Myers was given the honor of COAC Swimmer of the Year for the 2018-2019 school year.

Rachel Bussert, Memorial Managing Editor

At the Central Oklahoma Athletic Conference (COAC) meet, sophomore Max Myers was named Swimmer of the Year by the judges Jan. 19.

“When I was given this award I was very surprised but also happy knowing all the hard work throughout the season had paid off,” Myers said.

Myers has been swimming for eight years and has swam at Memorial for two. This level of experience has helped him to win both the 50 and 100 meter freestyle events at the COAC meet.

“My favorite part of swimming is having fun teammates,” Myers said. “Training with good friends makes the practices a little easier.”

His dedication and positive attitude has been noticed not only by the judges, but also by the Edmond Public Schools’ district coach Heather Devoe.

“Max has a unique and awesome outlook on life in general, and this spills over into swimming,” Devoe said. “He is a hard worker and committed, but he knows how to balance fun and friendships into the mix of a stressful swim season.”

Myers has become a much appreciated addition to the team in the past two years and will continue to be an influential athlete in the future.

“An athlete like Max doesn’t come along every day,” Devoe said. “He is dependable, tenacious and a powerhouse in the water.”

As the state competition (Feb 15-16) approaches, Myers continues to improve his already impressive times and technique.

“My goal this season is to win the state title in the 100 Freestyle and break the school records in the 50 and 100 Freestyle,” Myers said.

Myers also hopes to lower his times to attend a Division I university for swimming after he graduates high school and is preparing for the first national meet he has qualified for: Futures. He will attend this meet in the summer.

To watch Myers and the rest of the swim team at state, pick up a permission slip and return it to the attendance office by Feb. 14.

Contact Rachel Bussert at [email protected].

My name is Rachel Bussert and I am a senior at Edmond Memorial High School. I have been on the Ruff Draft staff for one and a half years and have earned...

• Max Myers named COAC Swimmer of the Year

Kelly Clarkson: The Meaning of Life tour

Madison Rightmire: paintball above all

Preparing for 2020 presidency

Changing American prisons

Shutdown affects Memorial families

Memorial wins the Bishop Guinness Classic

Academic team crowned area champions

Project Period helps women in need

Therapy dogs helping the Bulldogs

Satisfied with “The Upside”