Golf girls swing into the new season

Golf girls swing into the new season

Senior Loren Ogburn practices diligently alongside her team at the Kickingbird Golf Course.

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Hannah Teifke, Memorial Staff Writer

Golf season is right around the corner, and anyone driving by the Kickingbird golf course can hear the thwack of a golf club striking a ball as the Memorial girls practice to have a successful season this year.

The coaches have been encouraging the team to work hard and perform well this season.

“Our team has been outstanding this year,” head coach Janet Chartney said. “This group of girls is very talented.”

Chartney has been with the golf program since 2008 and has seen the development of many great players since then. This includes sophomore Lilly Whitley, who played on the team last year and qualified for state as a freshman.

“I’m excited. Last year was a really good season,” Whitley said.

Whitley has been playing golf for five years and played as the number one bag (highest rank) on the varsity team last year. She placed in the top ten in almost every tournament before state and has done a lot of preparation for this year in order to have another successful season.

“The team environment is great this year,” Whitley said. “We work together really well and it’s really fun.”

This atmosphere is very positive; all the players are very supportive of each other and they do a great job working together as a team.

Senior Loren Ogburn has been on the team since her freshman year and she hopes to play well this season.

“I’m hoping to improve my game and to prepare myself to be a college golfer,” Ogburn said.

With such devoted players, the team has had many amazing achievements, including top five placements in several tournaments as well as qualifying for state last season.

“They work hard together, are very sweet and communicate with each other in productive ways and I’m very proud of how they get along,” Chartney said.

After having a successful season last year, the team hopes to have a good follow-up this year against tough rivals such as Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Edmond North. The team’s first tournament is March 25 in Norman, and the season concludes with state May 2 and 3.

Contact Hannah Teifke at [email protected]