Breaking ground for the Edmond Tennis Center

Tala Trad, Memorial Staff Writer

The Edmond Memorial Varsity Tennis Team witnessed the new Edmond Tennis Center break ground on 601 W. 15th Street just west of Kelly, the first communal tennis complex for all three Edmond high schools in partnership with the City of Edmond, Jan. 6.

The tennis center has been in the works for two and a half years and will feature locker rooms for the high school teams, a pro shop and 24 outdoor courts along with six indoor courts by the summer of 2020. More courts are expected to be added at a later date.

“The only other tennis center of this magnitude in the state is the OKC Tennis Center which is where the state tournament is hosted every year,” head coach Leslie Futrell said.

The Edmond tennis players were able to symbolically shovel the dirt at the ceremony as well as listen to Mayor Elizabeth Waner, a pro tennis player and a head for the Oklahoma USTA branch speak about the project.

“You could tell all three high schools were all really happy to have state of the art facilities after never having a place to practice to call our own,” sophomore Lily Johnson said.

Although junior and senior tennis player won’t have the chance to play on the court with their team, they still anticipate what the tennis center could mean for the future of Edmond tennis.

“It’ll give a lot of kids the opportunity to develop their game as well as participate in a school sport,” senior Chris Dyer said. “I’m just excited to play on those courts since it’ll be open to the Edmond community and to be able to catch up with the coaches.”

Right now, the Memorial tennis team is separated between the Edmond Racquet Club and the YMCA due to lack of court space and resources putting them at a disadvantage when competing at the 6A level, but that does not stop the boys’ tennis team from placing at the state tournament several years in a row and at nationals last year.

“We are very blessed to live in Edmond and have the support from the community to build this tennis center,” Futrell said.

The Edmond Memorial Tennis team will finally be able to have a place to call their own and experience the home court advantage they have been waiting for.

Contact Tala Trad at [email protected].