The new band room has arrived

The new band room has arrived

Memorial's new band room has been under construction for a while, but it is now open and ready to be utilized.

Brooke Burris

Brooke Burris

Brooke Burris

Rachel Dallalio, Memorial Staff Writer

Memorial has finally opened their long awaited band room for full use by the Big Bad Bulldog Band, bringing out a new side of the band as they are able to finally rehearse without being crowded.

The band room was supposed to be finished last year around March, but major setbacks, such as busting the main water source for the school or having equipment crash while on site causing production to be delayed. Even though there were so many issues with the band room coming along, it still proved to be worth it.

“It’s such a relief, especially knowing that during marching season, we can all rehearse together and not have the feel like we are extremely stressed for time or where to practice,” freshman Jack Heymore said.

The construction was originally exciting but it quickly led to some cumbersome problems that caused the band to have a rough start in their 2018 marching band season. All the promises for the band program to grow were not able to be fulfilled with the band room being under construction since March, 2017.

“We put in so much work moving into the band room and telling us it would be ready and when it wasn’t it made us feel a little bit like we were not valued,” senior Laura Egesdal said. “It almost made it feel like the band room was a second thought.”

Good still came out for those who waited once it was finally finished Feb. 18. Now the band feels like they received their reward for all the struggles they went through in past two years of construction.

“ I didn’t think it would take this long to finish but construction can be affected by many variables so now we’re just glad to have a band room to use,” assistant band director Will Bishop said.

Memorial’s band has always been able to persevere through the most inconvenient situations and show everyone their strong Bulldog pride.

“I think it has made us a lot stronger,” Egesdal said. “Especially with distractions, we had to learn to tune it out which lead us to be able to do that at contest and focus on what we’re doing.”

The new band room also doubles as a tornado shelter that can hold up to 1100 students, so it’s not only exceeding the band’s expectations, but Memorial as a whole.

“Having a space like that is really beneficial and will provide us with a lot more storage and a lot more space to rehearse in as well as utilize for different parts of the program more freely and not encroach on the other fine arts programs in the school like drama, choir, and orchestra,” Bishop said.

The band is now back to full capability and, next year, will have a better, more focused group without distractions going on around them.

“The new band room has a lot more space and can really fit the whole band so we can all hear each other more clearly in a less crazy environment,” Heyman said.

With new band room being 8,860-square-feet compared the old one which was 5,000-square-feet, the future of the band has been given a clearer perspective of their progress. Band has the chance to go even further next marching band season to show their school spirit.

Contact writer Rachel Dallalio at [email protected].