A vacay to be away

Hurd on Heard is one local option for those looking to enjoy an evening out on the town.

Lauren Crouch, Memorial Staff Writer

During spring break, some people go far to visit different countries and try new adventures, but others simply just stay home relaxing and catching up on sleep.

Puerto Rico is where sophomore Amber Chen will be for a mission trip to assist her church group to help with different community projects.

“I’m looking forward to helping with the church and the people of the church in Puerto Rico and seeing what God has planned for us,” Chen said.

Some people aren’t going out of the country, but still going across the country like freshman Landon Peck who is going to New York City. While he is there he plans to go to the Empire State Building, Central Park, Statue of Liberty and visit some of his relatives that live there.

“I am very excited to see the tourist spots in New York and see what it is like there,” Peck said. “I also am glad that I am able to see my relatives that I haven’t seen in a long time.”

A vacation doesn’t have to be far to have fun. Freshman Colt Davidson is visiting Colorado with his church youth group to enjoy skiing and participating in church activities.

“I look forward to this trip because I’ve never been to Salina, Colorado, and I am able to experience it with my youth group,” Davidson said.

If staying home for spring break, there are still plenty of opportunities for having fun while staying local, including enjoying a couple lanes of bowling or playing arcade games at Main Event with a special of $7 for each activity. The newly opened movie theater and bowling alley, Showbiz, has both movies, bowling, and an arcade. Cost are $8 for a movie ticket and prices vary for a bowling lane, but during the weekdays before 6 p.m. they are $14.99. Showbiz also has $5 Tuesdays for movies.

For the first time this year, Heard on Hurd will be taking place on March 16 from 6-10 p.m. which includes food trucks and live music. Another option of where to hang out during the break is going to iFly with a more expensive price of $59.95 for two flights. The popular Riversport Adventures in downtown OKC is opening for spring break from March 16-22 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m., but the whitewater rafting and kayaking will not be available.

With  suggestions of local places to have fun, staying at home over the break should be more enjoyable. Whether staying in town or going away, many students are looking forward to the excitement spring break holds.

Contact Lauren Crouch at [email protected]

• A vacay to be away

Varsity Drama puts skills to test

• A vacay to be away

Is Human Anatomy worth it?

• A vacay to be away

Animals are against abuse

• A vacay to be away

The teen stereotype is a stressor

• A vacay to be away

Santa Fe Young Women’s Association provides girls with their dream prom

• A vacay to be away

Jason Brandt: facility manager and friend to Santa Fe

• A vacay to be away

Logan’s musical journey

• A vacay to be away

Kevin Stitt making moves to improve prison conditions.

• A vacay to be away

Health issues impacting teens

• A vacay to be away

The impact holding a job has on high schoolers

A vacay to be away