The pros and cons of senior quotes

A+quote+lacking+originality%2C+though+it+is+mildly+humorous.+

The pros and cons of senior quotes

A quote lacking originality, though it is mildly humorous.

Ainsley Martinez and Faythe Miller

Pro:

Senior quotes are a milestone for a many, a sentimental expression of finality. Throughout pop culture, senior quotes have been a blissful cliche that grew the anticipation of growing up for many adolescents. It is saved for the final year of high school, and although some quotes are silly, it’s also an ode to childhood as a whole. The sentimentality of the quotes make it worth the hassle and time it takes to format. As a school that has a sole class dedicated to organizing the yearbook, there should be plenty of time to gather senior quotes for future classes. If there is no viable option to have a senior quote for every student, then the yearbook could actually use senior quote to their economic advantage and seniors could buy a quote. However, if everyone doesn’t have a senior quote below their name- formatting can be a problem. This will have to allow for creativity and flexibility in working on page design. However, the publishing department at Edmond North would further flourish with extra finances. There are several advantages to senior quotes, and the emotional attachment is sacred. It’s something that has been showcased on television and in media, and we shouldn’t throw away the long standing tradition.Without senior quotes the expectation of high school is limited, and isn’t the yearbook’s purpose to capture the entire high school experience?

Con:

In recent years our school yearbook made away with the use of senior quotes. Senior quotes were arguably a fan favorite, and one of the most notorious staples of senior culture. Many individuals, however, wasted this privilege and instead left meaningless nothings scattered along the page.

While it is nice to feel like you got the final word in, frequently there is a gross misuse of this privilege. Class clowns often have some dimwitted joke or quote to broadcast their humor. Oftentimes, this leaves the readers unsatisfied with the illscripted humor.

Besides inside jokes and outdated ‘memes,’ there is another category that senior quotes fit into. It is as I’d like to call it, the last minute pinterest inspiration. Rather than making a sentimental statement about one’s time in high school, many individuals would rather quote a notable person like Oscar Wilde or Walt Disney. This leaves the quote page looking like a repetitive inspiration page with quotes and slogans fit for throw pillows rather than yearbooks.

Many individuals do a disservice to the power and creativity that quotes can hold.  Ultimately much of what ends up on the pages lacks the ability to captivate and in turn it becomes a monotonous piece of text.  Students have proven themselves unworthy of this task year after year, so it makes sense that this tradition has been subsided.

The emergence of senior quotes were in a time not plagued by social media- which allows us to send out our thoughts and ideas at any given time. A final sentiment or statement is not needed to be printed in a yearbook, because now at any time we can access our past words, thoughts and ideas that we have chosen to share on various social media platforms.

On top of the functions of the senior quote becoming obsolete, it is a unnecessary stressor to place upon those that work on the yearbook staff. Not only would there be difficulties in gathering every senior’s quote, but monitoring and checking up on each statement is time consuming and tedious. Especially at a school like North, there are around 600 people in each graduating class. This is a large amount of detailed formatting and design work for something that truly lacks pay off.

Despite the divide over the necessity for senior quotes, one fact remains, we appreciate the work that goes into our yearbook and all the efforts of the staff.

For any questions, comments, or concerns contact [email protected]

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

North

“The Upside” breaks box offices

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

3 projects from the 3 Migos

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Kevin Stitt making moves to improve prison conditions.

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

North

FFA comes to life

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Posing with a real pout?

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Is changing for Daylight Savings Time important?

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

News

How The Oscars Impact Society

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Ben Rector sells out the Jones Assembly for two consecutive nights

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Girls ball out at Regionals

• The pros and cons of senior quotes

Valentine’s Day is back in style

The pros and cons of senior quotes