Health issues impacting teens

Health issues impacting teens

Many teenagers at Memorial often find themselves struggling with substance abuse before they even graduate.

Autumn Tennyson, Memorial Staff Writer

There are many health issues that go on today that most parents aren’t aware of. Most of these issues include teens addictions that follow up with health problems, such as eating disorders and obesity. There are many kind of disorders among the teen body such as malnutrition, slowing down body functions, acid disorders, mild anemia, constipation, temporary paralysis appearance, hypoglycemia and infertility.

Some teens tend to rely on water to fill them up so that way the extra weight doesn’t linger. Teens are often obsessed with the way they look and the way they talk that they don’t have time to look in the mirror and notice all of the dangers being dragged along with them every day they decide to not eat.

Over 30% of teenagers are overweight. The majority of that 30% is ages 2-19. Along with obesity leads to diseases such as type two diabetes, asthma, sleeping problems, high blood pressure, and heart disease. When being obese your chances of getting treated differently start to make one feel like an outcast. One teen who consumes more calories than they use is just storing extra fat in their body. It is important for teens to continue on eating healthy and keeping up with their physical exercises so they do not become obese or have diseases later on down the road.

In today’s society everywhere you go there may be a teen smoking, drinking, or using tobacco products. Most every high school student has tried tobacco products before graduating high school.

This is becoming a huge issue in today’s society because teens and some adults are becoming an owner of at least one tobacco product. This is a major issue with health and all the risk that come along with these “addictions”.

Teenagers do not know exactly how their future will be using nicotine products nor do teens know the risk of exposing themselves to cancer or any other disease associated. One can hit nicotine a few times each day and want to do it more because it is addictive.

The more teenagers put their lives at risk by using nicotine tobacco products the more they are exposed to disease and death. Juuls and any other tobacco products were made to be designed for people to stop smoking cigarettes.

One Juul pod contains up to 20 cigarettes and starting that young as a teen will lead one to being addicted for life. The popular fruity flavors that teens enjoy are the most dangerous containing more chemicals. All teens should sit back and think about the long term consequences and how even doctors don’t know what those could be.

Juuls and cigarettes are the exact same thing. One inhales the addictive nicotine and they both have the same effects and consequences. Excessive amounts of vaping has sent teenagers into rehab, hospitalization for blood clots in the brain, and seizures. Participating in nicotine products can also lead your A plus career into a failing grade. This process can make teens spend up to 150 dollars in one week paying $17 every other day. This is becoming an epidemic for teens.

Contact Autumn Tennyson at [email protected].