How The Oscars Impact Society

Dolby+Theatre+was+the+place+of+event+during+the+Oscars+located+in+Los+Angeles%2C+California.+

How The Oscars Impact Society

Dolby Theatre was the place of event during the Oscars located in Los Angeles, California.

Brynly Brown

Brynly Brown

Brynly Brown

The Oscars were presented on Feb 24, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California. The Academy presented the winners in 24 categories. While many of the nominees were all deserving, the winners will be the ones that will have a permanent memory in our history. Classic past winners such as; “The Godfather”, “Braveheart”, “The Lord Of The Rings”, “Titanic” and “Forrest Gump” all offer us meaningful entertainment that current and future generations will always recollect.

Oscar nominations create attention and become a part of our culture. This year, whether, it was the controversy over fashion choices on the red carpet or the controversy over the winners of who walked away with the famous golden statue, the public viewed the Oscars as a platform for expression.

This year’s Best Picture nominees were “Green Book”, “A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “The Favourite”, “BlacKKKlansan”, “Black Panther,” “Roma” and “Vice”.  Each of these movies taught lessons such as acceptance and valuing differences among each other. This tells society to be open minded. These movies provided an insight to different perspectives while treasuring life through global responsibility. Society’s ability to recognize current world issues and connect those feelings to the films, impacted the viewers reactions and were influential.

“Green Book” was this year’s Oscar winner for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay.  Green Book” was based on actual events from the perspective of one family’s perception of when two different races find out that humanity ties them together.  This movie references the history of racism and affects our culture by making people think about equality.

One of the flims screenwriters, Nick Vallelonga said in an interview.

“There’s a lot of stories about racism that have been told, are being told, and should still be told.” Vallelonga said.

The controversy is that the film distorted the life of one of the characters and made a magical storyline that wasn’t based off of truth. Some of society relished the idea that two different races connected, while others despise the film and were offended by how the the interracial friendships were portrayed because it wasn’t based off of facts.

Best actor winner, Rami Malek played Freddie Mercury in the film “Bohemian Rhapsody”.  Malek spoke to those struggling with gender identity in his Oscar speech. In his speech, he also mentioned how beautiful his Egyptian heritage is and how privileged he is to represent it. Malek’s speech left some with the thoughts of what they could accomplish in today’s era.

This year the Oscars decided to have no host for the first time in three decades. The Academy originally wanted Kevin Hart to host, but Hart dropped out after controversial Twitter remarks. Social media responses can exploit individuals if they are not handled cautiously.

Some people agreed with his decision to step down as host and not be a distraction while others disagreed because they thought he should use the Oscars as a platform to build unity and awareness for equality.

The Oscars continue to evolve with our society’s views.  Through criticism or acceptance, the diversity of opinions made this year’s event night to remember.

For questions and concerns, please contact [email protected]

Brynly Brown, North Staff Writer

Wassup?? My name is Brynly Brown. This is my first year in Newspaper and I am so excited to be here! I play club volleyball! I love sports, movies, clubs,...

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Lady bulldog soccer

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Bulldogs become regional champs

• How The Oscars Impact Society

The new band room has arrived

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Memorial

Breaking ground for the Edmond Tennis Center

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Female Democrats in Oklahoma rising to the top

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Shutdown affects Memorial families

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Academic team crowned area champions

• How The Oscars Impact Society

New construction brings new music to Santa Fe

• How The Oscars Impact Society

Counselors guide students to success

• News

Legally Blonde auditions!

How The Oscars Impact Society