FFA comes to life

FFA+goes+to+a+classroom+that+is+partly+outdoors%2C+partly+a+barn%2C+and+partly+a+rodeo+arena.+

FFA comes to life

FFA goes to a classroom that is partly outdoors, partly a barn, and partly a rodeo arena.

Emily Garrison, North Staff Writer

Future Farmers of America (FFA) is an extracurricular student organization for those interested in agriculture and leadership and it is one of the three components of agricultural education. The official name of the organization is the National FFA Organization. At North, kids who signed up for FFA get onto a bus during their class period and they go to the Leon Duffle Livestock Arena, which is a barn and a classroom. There they learn how to take care of animals as well as our environment. Their motto is, “Learning to do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live and Living to Serve.” They teach kids about personal growth, leadership and career success through agricultural education.

“When I first joined FFA, I thought it would just be a blow off class and that I wouldn’t enjoy it, but now it is my favorite class and I’ve learned so much more about animals and our ecosystem,” said Faith Ferrell junior FFA student.

Edmond FFA was established in 1949, with Leon Duffle as the first Agricultural teacher and FFA advisor. Since that time, the community of Edmond has grown and changed drastically.

The FFA chapter has also grown and evolved to reflect community growth. Their chapter serves over 250 students of all different backgrounds in grades 8 through 12. Although the Edmond chapter is suburban, they strive to provide students with a well-rounded agricultural education experience.

FFA has many different activites for the students to get involved in. They have career development events such as floriculture, nursery/landscape, cattle judging, foresty, meat judging and electricity. All of these activites are known as CDE’s, or “Career Development Events”. They are also required to have a yearly project called an SAE which stands for Supervised Agriculture Experience. Classwise, they have welding, greenhouse work, animal sciences and Ag communications.

“This year I will be doing a giant pumpkin that I can enter into the SAE this fall during the fair. I am also in floriculture part of the CDE’s,”  Farrell said.

If you have any questions contact: [email protected]