Being vegan is not as crazy as it sounds

Being vegan can be a simple way to improve health and reduce one's impact on the planet.

Rachel Dallalio, Memorial Staff Writer

Being a vegan in Oklahoma is not a very unique choice and it is attributed with so many negatives that it intimidates people from even thinking about trying it. Oklahoma is known for deep fried and fatty comfort foods that taste good but are not necessarily good for you.

The typical reaction to this kind of diet is an extreme, “Why would you do that?” or “I could never do that to myself,” which leads to long explanations as to why someone would choose that lifestyle and what would lead them to making this life changing decision.

Two of many reasons that people become vegan is that they do not think animals should die for food or that they want to transition into a clean eating lifestyle.

That is how veganism sort of started; in 1944 a group of men started a “non-dairy vegetarian” diet that, according to the Vegan Society, was aimed to help reduce the economic footprint that humans have created.

I chose to be vegan as a new years resolution to improve my health and reduce my anxiety, I researched ways to accomplish and I stumbled upon the vegan community where I found how I can not only improve my health but also make a difference in the world.

Throughout high school, I have dealt with two skin cancer scares and anxiety attacks that got so severe I had to take more than just the standard prescription anxiety medication, which has started to affect a very large portion of my life.

With a weak immune system and too many close calls, I decided to try something that wasn’t the normal health solution. The vegan diet helps to reduce the risk of cancer and the American Institute for Cancer Research (AIRC) says that after cancer treatments, a great way to healthily gain wait back is through a plant-based diet. For me, I have felt the best I ever have and I feel good about myself knowing that I’m doing something to improve my lifestyle.

Veganism is not for everyone and this is not a way to try and persuade someone to be vegan. Since I have made this choice, an unnecessary amount of judgment from my peers telling my that this is an expensive and a horrible choice that will destroy myself.

What I have learned is that if anyone is serious about any form of change, then they have to go through uncomfortable situations. Being vegan is a personal lifestyle and to have a forceful attitude about it towards others would be introducing upon others lifestyles.

People can choose and be what they would like, so if they choose to be vegan, let them do as they please because ridiculing and calling someone crazy for a personal choice does not provide any room for growth. I recommend people try new things and see why vegans stepped into a different lifestyle.

Contact Rachel Dallalio at [email protected].