Five Feet Apart A Cheesy Romeo and Juliet

Mason Lucero, Edmond Santa Fe Staff Writer

Five Feet Apart is the new drama and romance movie based on a book of the same name by Mikki Daughtry, Rachel Lippincott and Tobias Iaconis. It was released to cinemas on March 15 with mixed reviews by the public and average reception by critics while also grossing 63 million worldwide. The film is a must see, especially if you liked The Fault in Our Stars.

Despite being a little predictable at times, Five Feet Apart explores insecurities and feelings of inevitability that a lot of the teenage populace deals with daily, making it an emotional and empowering watch for mainly teenage audiences.

The movie stars Will (Cole Sprouse) the stereotypical rebel, and the hopeful and OCD Stella (Haley Lu Richardson). Both suffer from the chronic and terminal disease known as Cystic Fibrosis (CF), however their situations are quite different. Will has a terminal strain of bacteria that disqualifies him for a much needed lung transplant and Stella is towards the top of the donor list waiting only for new lungs.

CF causes mucus to block the airways of the lungs and where the average life expectancy of CF patients is about 37 years old within the U.S. The disease prevents CF patients from interacting within six feet to stop the spread of the different strains of bacteria between patients to hopefully extend their already shorter lives.

This distance is one of the most important rules among CF patients (CFers) and is enforced by caregivers and patients alike; in the movie this leads to a typical forbidden love between the two that is denied in the first act, grows in the second and resolves in resolution of the movie that left tears streaming down the audiences face’s.

The movie is a modern day “Romeo and Juliet” where, instead of family ties separating the star-crossed lovers, it’s a disease that they can’t escape. The film explores the complicated relationships that affect teenagers and the struggles with confusing hormones and awkward situations.

For more information on CF and how to support CF research go to www.cff.org and learn more about this disease that affects more than 70,000 people worldwide. Just learning about the disease can help bring awareness and attention to something that causes thousands of people pain everyday.

For more information please contact Mason Lucero at [email protected]

Beyonce “Homecoming”

• Five Feet Apart A Cheesy Romeo and Juliet

Society’s disorder: “Shrill”

Heroine: a tragic story of teen drug addiction

The magic of DC

Be part of the “Legacies”

“Hotel Mumbai” review: showing the rawness of a crisis

Reviews

From food truck to aesthetically pleasing donut shop: Holey Rollers

Reviews

Pho-nomenal Pho: Pho 54 Review

Everyone’s dream book

Netflix strikes again