The importance of cultural clubs: Phenomenal Women

Memorial's recently formed  black female empowerment club, Phenomenal Women, is dedicated to supporting each other, education and community.

Memorial's recently formed black female empowerment club, Phenomenal Women, is dedicated to supporting each other, education and community.

Ebonee Miller, Memorial Staff Writer

Many high schools do not have clubs or organizations for students to learn about unique cultures. Schools are filled with diversity, and students and faculty come from different backgrounds through different ethnicities, cultures and religions. It is important for people to learn where they and others came from and to know general information about cultures.

At Memorial, there are clubs for students to participate in to learn about different groups. Last year, the Phenomenal Women Club was created, which encourages African American women to come together to learn more about each other, their culture and history.

In the two years I have in the club,  I have learned a lot, not just about the culture, but I have learned many things about all of the girls that are involved. The club has meetings, field trips and afterschool activities to participate in, such as a cookouts and photoshoots. Some of the club’s events include team-bonding activities, confidence building exercises, out of city trips and sleepovers  in order to allow the girls to express themselves and allow them to know the girls that they would normally just pass by in the hallways, which has added a positivity to my high school experience by creating new friendships with people like myself.

For a field trip, the club traveled to the Greenwood Cultural Center, in Tulsa to learn about the African American history that had taken place there. The members of the club learned about the 1921 race riot which was the deadliest act of racial violence in the United States. The trip showed the history of African Americans and how to work with one another.

Many other high schools can not say that they have a club dedicated to empowering black women that is run by students, which is something that makes the club more meaningful. Students at Memorial created the club for any young woman to join. At club sign up, students can easily sign up to join by just writing their name down on the sign up sheet.

All of the events that the club participates in are learning experiences for the students and faculty. Phenomenal Women’s environment is a friendly, sisterly club where the girls are open to any type of discussion, educating young teens on important issues.

More schools should have clubs like this for their students because something so simple can drastically impact students’ lives. Try to participate in these clubs or work to help others understand other cultures.

Contact Ebonee Miller at [email protected].