Senior school attendance after graduation

A graduation ceremony is supposed to mean that high school is over, but it does not feel that way when seniors have to finish the school year after their ceremony.

Hannah Teifke, Memorial Staff Writer

The month of May becomes a very stressful period for graduating seniors. Not only are they set on passing their AP tests and earning good grades, but they will be graduating from high school to move on to college. Graduation is a very emotional time, as it closes one chapter of life and opens a completely new door. Walking across the stage at the graduation ceremony carries a certain feeling of pride, along with the relief that high school is finally over. That is, until the Monday after, when seniors have to return to school.

AP testing is a difficult time for most seniors. Not only do they need passing scores for a chance of guaranteeing college credit, but semester finals for regular courses fall in the weeks before or after AP testing. Seniors can skip more than one semester exam, so they should not need to attend school after graduation if all of their tests have been completed.

This year, the graduation ceremonies for the Edmond Public Schools high schools take place Sat. May 18, the week before school ends for the year. With the last day of the semester falling on May 23, the week is only four days long. Even though it may be short, seniors should be allowed to start their summer break after graduation because AP tests do not have any major effects on when seniors graduate.

Seniors should not have to come back to school after their graduation. In the last week of school, they often don’t learn anything in class. This time could be better spent on preparation for college, but since they just spend time sitting in class, that is not much of an option. At this point, being stuck in high school could act as a setback for them.

Not only do the senior students themselves want to end high school at an appropriate time, but the senior class teachers want to start their break as well. Although some teachers do assign work to keep the students’ minds active, it would not serve a purpose since they are technically supposed to be finished with high school. Instead, they could be finishing some work so that they can begin summer break once the school year ends to not have to stay after the students leave.

Seniors should be allowed to leave school after graduation in future years because it would serve as a great benefit to them as well as those in the school.

Contact Hannah Teifke at [email protected]dschools.net