Cell phones for gorillas

Cell phones for gorillas

Reagan Ross was the opportunist in finding the Give for Gorilla’s Cell Phone Drive for National Spanish Honor Society.

Myel Solorzano

Myel Solorzano

Myel Solorzano

Brianna Sivils, Santa Fe Staff Writer

In Nov. 2018, Santa Fe’s National Spanish Honor Society (NSHS) and Spanish Club collected used electronics for the Oklahoma City Zoo’s Give for Gorilla’s Cell Phone Drive.

The Give for Gorilla’s Cell Phone Drive works with the local communities of Oklahoma to help donate gently used cell phones, laptops and chargers. The Zoo donates the electronics to ECO-CELL, who then resells or recycles unusable electronics. The purpose of the drive is to help preserve wildlife from the effects that electronics have on the environment.

Senior NSHS President Haven Evans found the challenge to be very helpful and inspiring for the NSHS members.

“The challenge is to help save gorillas from the effects that electronics and mining have on their environments,” Evans said. “The electronics are going toward a good cause and reducing stress on their homes.”

Cell phones, laptops and most other electronics contain a metal called coltan. Coltan is used for storing energy and create microprocessors that are used in cell phones, laptops and chargers. The metal is dangerous to mine and is destructive to the animals’ environment. The Oklahoma City Zoo created the challenge to minimize the effects of mining on the environment and save the endangered species of the Congo, where coltan is heavily mined.

Junior NSHS member Reagan Ross follows the Oklahoma City Zoo on Instagram and saw the challenge to recycle old electronics. She brought the idea of helping the Gorillas and donating to her fellow NSHS members.

“I wanted to get NSHS and Spanish Club more involved in the community,” Ross said. “I thought it would be a great idea.”

With the help and support of her members and teachers, 40 different types of electronics were donated to the cause. Spanish teacher Kristin Sackett was among some of the few who donated and helped the Give for Gorilla’s Cell Phone Drive.

“We all worked together to pitch in,” Sackett said. “We wanted to help raise awareness for the campaign and save the gorillas.”

The members of ECO-CELL, an organization whose goal is to limit the effects of electronics on endangered animals, are helping to reduce the mining effects on the gorillas and apes in the Congo. All of the electronics donated to the Zoo are recycled with the ECO-CELL Recycling Program which are then resold to developing countries or are safely disposed of.

The Give for Gorilla’s Cell Phone Drive has helped the Gorillas in the Congo from the harmful effects that mining has on their habitats one electronic at time.

For more information contact Brianna Sivils at [email protected]

Hustling with heart

• Cell phones for gorillas

Varsity Drama puts skills to test

• Cell phones for gorillas

Animals are against abuse

• Cell phones for gorillas

March Madness gets insane

• Cell phones for gorillas

April Blood Drive

• Cell phones for gorillas

News

Soccer kicks off

• Cell phones for gorillas

News

Betsy DeVos devotion to education

• Cell phones for gorillas

News

How The Oscars Impact Society

• Cell phones for gorillas

Lady bulldog soccer

• Cell phones for gorillas

Bulldogs become regional champs

Cell phones for gorillas